DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Cancelled Sky now can't record programs.

Posted by freddies-10050482 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ivoire-444486 - 3 years ago

Advice will be too late now in Freddies case, but for others intending to cancel Sky subscription, before doing so if you have access to (beg or borrow) a DVD recorder, you can play your programmes through Sky box and record them onto DVD. We wish we had thought of this before cancelling Sky. We now use Humax 1010

Sorry no image available
Posted by freddies-10050482 - 3 years ago

Thanks everyone. Thanks georgeV for that link.  I have had a quick look but saved it to go through it slowly later. It's very helpful.

I seem to be spending hours looking at Freesat boxes or TV's with Freesat included.  Up to now I think the option of just a Freesat box is best for my pocket and maybe a VPN too.  I do need a new TV soon as mine does not have the HDMI outlet, (yes, it's that old !) just looking for a fairly cheapish one if they exist.

Thanks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

freddies Your wrote:

Thanks everyone for your help.  Going to look at the John Lewis one and also the refurb ones. 

Just watched a YouTube video about the Humax HDR1100S and I now have another (stupid) question - if you set it up to WiFi are all the options for only UK providers or can you put your own in?  I assume you can if all of you use them.

First John Lewis will not deliver to outside of the UK unless you use their International Delivery Programme, but this is very very expensive.  Cheaper to take a ferry to the UK.  Or I'm going over in October so you could deliver it to me.

The Wifi link is only required, mainly but not exlusively, for the "catch up" channels.  You can connect it to your French Internet connection but those channels which will not supply you if you are outside of the UK will not work as the provider detects your IP address.

You will need a VPN.  I use Pure VPN in conjuntion with a TP-Link TL ER-604W  The VPN sets up a UK wireless network in the house so that devices like the Humax Box, Now TV etc appear to be in the UK.

The Pure VPN support page on how to set up the router is here.  No changes are needed to your French Router.

http://www.tp-link.us/resources/document/VPN_Config_Guide.pdf

Hope that helps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lenlewis - 3 years ago

Perfect signal through our Humax box here in Morbihan :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Well, that doesn't really explain anything. We bought a brand new Humax box with recorder in the UK for use in our French holiday home and connected it to the satellite lead. It works fine, just as I expected it to. The dish is pointing to the same orbiting satellite that beams signals to the UK, the electricity supply is identical, so there is no reason for it not to work. Freesat signal strength in Brittany is fine, though I'm not sure how strong it is in say the south of France, where a larger dish is probably needed.

I'm sure there must be many others who can confirm a good freesat reception in Brittany, whether through a Humax box or other make. To be sure, ask BartyB.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonlion - 3 years ago

Hi,

I sent this email to Humax

Hello, Thank you for your reply .. Question .. we use the same system as the UK .. ie sattelite, connections, tv etc .. the only thing we do not use is an inter-net supply .. What is different than before .. ? Rgds Chris
The reply I got back was ..   Dear Chris

Thank you for contacting Humax.

Freesat have altered there broadcasting footprint, apologies for any inconvenience this may cause. 

Best Regards,

Mark
Humax Customer Support

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Whilst they cannot guarantee they will work outside the UK, they do indeed work, as many will vouch for - so I would not be put off by that response.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonlion - 3 years ago

Hi,

I contacted Humax ..below is the answer I received today ..

Rgds

Chris

Humax Customer Support Today at 4:55 PM To chrislockyer@rocketmail.com

Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting Humax.

We firstly have no refurbished Freesat models for sale directly at this time. In addition to this, our latest Freesat units are not tested or guaranteed to function outside of the United Kingdom, so I would advise against purchasing one.

Sorry no image available
Posted by freddies-10050482 - 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help.  Going to look at the John Lewis one and also the refurb ones. 

Just watched a YouTube video about the Humax HDR1100S and I now have another (stupid) question - if you set it up to WiFi are all the options for only UK providers or can you put your own in?  I assume you can if all of you use them. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by lenlewis - 3 years ago

We've been using a Humax Foxsat-HDR for several years now and it's brilliant.  Still got the basic Sky package but it isn't as good.  The Humax even allows us to copy recorded programs off onto a portable hard drive so we can watch them on our PC when away from home - you can't do that with Sky!  Incidentally, Humax do factory reconditioned, guaranteed products for a very useful saving (as was ours).  Look here - http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/refurbished/hdr-1000s-500gb-dd125d.html