DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Carpet Fitter wanted

Posted by D&I-399749 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

1 reply

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Wow, that's a posh attic. I assume it has actually been converted into living or bedroom space. In seeking a carpet fitter, I assume it is a woven or hessian backed carpet, rather than say, foam back. The latter would be a diy job, just the skill of accurate cutting involved. However, if woven or hessian backed, then grippers and a stretcher are needed and I can understand why you would seek a carpet fitter. However, they are thin on the ground in France (excuse the pun, couldn't resist) and French fitters will not necessarily use the same methods that you might be expecting.

Our neighbours bought from a local store, but when it came to fitting (hessian backed) the carpet was glued and nailed to the floor, much to their dismay. So my reason for responding is simply to forewarn you of this risk. You might find a fitter with UK experience, but do at least check or specify the fitting method, assuming they have the tools and experience for what you want.

I have heard of others who bought UK grippers and a stretcher (all via eBay) and did the job themselves. Time consuming, but they were pleased with the result.

Good luck.