DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Cavity wall insulation

Posted by Lynn&Ron Bailey - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lynn&Ron Bailey - 3 years ago

Thank you!

Sorry no image available

Thanks very much 

Sorry no image available

Thanks very much 

Sorry no image available
Posted by brian61 - 3 years ago

I have transplanted a couple of rhododendrons, both were over 6 foot tall and taking over the acid garden bed. During this time of year (June) they are just finished flowering and starting the new growth so it is best to leave them alone. But during November/December before the frosts arrive will be ideal and will give the roots chance to settle in before the Spring.

The root ball is not too deep (12-18") and may be around half the width of the bush. My problem was getting under the bush to get a spade into the acid soil then trying to keep the soil around the roots when I moved it. The second one I moved I trimmed it back before the move making it easier to handle. If you look for transplanting rhodos on youtube you should find films to encourage you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Unless you have a modern "jolie villa" then the chances are that you do not have a cavty wall.Most people insulate either externally or internally using drylining but I think you need at least 10 cms due to condensation forming behind the plasterboard.I would personally get advice from a builder who understands single walls

In relation to the rhododendron probably early spring is the best time to move it but if it is a big old specimen then you may have a huge rootball to contend with so depending on what you are trying to do you may be better off scrapping it altogether as these plants have toxic leaves which inhinit the growth of oher plants

Sorry no image available
Posted by Heavitree-431035 - 3 years ago

Are you sure you have cavity walls ? I did not think they existed here .