DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Central heating

Posted by Cloudgreyandblue - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jake-385069 - 3 years ago

Look into the hot air vented systems,they can be quite good.

Sorry no image available
Posted by T Squared-807638 - 3 years ago

If you go for oil you will need a qualified central heating engineer not a plumber, I've had a bad experience with a plumber who thought he could install a system to french standards, also do not be tempted to buy a british spec boiler as the fuel requirements are not compatable.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

A plumber unless you decide to install electric underfloor heating, underfloor heating is by far the best method, main problem is putting it under the floor.

Sorry no image available
Posted by joffs - 3 years ago

which trade should be approached for boliers and radia tors ? Is it always a plumber ? I only have very very old and inefficient electric radia tors and i want to install a NEW systèm, . If i had under flood heating , and maybe Air Heat exchange..... Who do i go to and i assume i need a boiler ? ,!! 

Sorry no image available
Posted by chèvrefeuille - 3 years ago

Having any central heating system installed will be expensive and needs to be looked at in rerms of a long term investment.  A good system may well inprove your quality of live and make your house easier to sell if you ever need to move on. The best thing to do is to get some quotes for different types and talk to the fitters who will be able to give you not only the price but details about the efficiency ot a particular system and the amount of disruption that the installation will involve.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cloudgreyandblue - 3 years ago

Thankyou all for your help.  The information is exactly what I needed.

yes my wood burner is super I just wanted to know about central heating.

thankyou so much.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Heating with wood using a back boiler can be an expensive system to install, the french regs are quite tight now, you have to have a closed system unvented, with a thermostatically controlled safety valve, you also have to have part of your system as a heat sink to take up unwanted heat, the English gravity fed vented systems don't conform over here, at the moment oil is cheap and a basic system without hot water would probably be the cheapest way to go, wood pellet burners which will run a heating system can be quite pricey and you need dry storage for the pellets, the main problem with wet systems isd where to run the pipework, its not difficult if the property is being renovated but if already renovated then all the pipe runs will be visible, what's wrong with your woodburner, is it not warming up the whole house?.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

We have a back boiler on a Nordica range delivers acres of hot water and offers a fall back to cook on. However, is complex to install.

Agree on the benefits of a back boiler and wood burning - not pellets. Wood is natural and carbon neutral whereas Electricity, Oil or Gas is not. Wood burners also had a tax benefit at least until recently

Prices will vary depending on the size of your property and the level of insulation as this impacts on the amount and power of the radiators. I would have thought less than €8000 depending on the number of radiators and  the complexity of the installation.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dozygirl - 3 years ago

Why not change your wood burner to a multi fuel with a back boiler which will service radiators.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cloudgreyandblue - 3 years ago

yes.  We have a wood burner so it would  probably be electric or oil.

thankyou.