DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Central heating oil?

Posted by AJmAc - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by giraude - 4 years ago

Hello,

I maintain my central heating and you have to check two things:

is the oil vaporised by the burner?

have you a spark?

If all is ok it could be water in the bottom tank easy but dirty to cklean the tank.

In all the cases quite any oil is correct..

If you want help mail me.

Jean Yves

Sorry no image available
Posted by AJmAc - 4 years ago

Thanks John, we will be back at the house next week, I'll do as you suggest to see if there is any contamination. 

Allan

Sorry no image available
Posted by sanjon-627351 - 4 years ago

Right then, to check for water in the oil run some off until you've half filled a glass jar and leave it standing for a couple of hours. Then, without disturbing it too much, have a look to see if there is any sign of the oil and water separating, any water will be at the bottom of the jar.

As for the oil being stale, well it's always possible I suppose. But if there's no sign of water in the oil when you run it off into a jar try dropping the end of a bit of cloth into the oil and letting it soak up the cloth as it would with a wick and see if it burns then. 

Regards,

John.

Sorry no image available

Yes, the oil is being pumped through the burner and when it tries to light, I can see the oil spraying out of the nozzle and the igniter is producing a spark.  As I said, it's probably either stale oil or its contaminated with water. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by sanjon-627351 - 4 years ago

Hi AJmAc,

With you saying "the oil level is very low and now it wont light", can I ask whether you've checked to make sure you are actually getting oil through to the burner?

If not, it could simply be that the oil level is now below the level of the pick up pipe or even that the filter is blocked.

Regards,

John.

Sorry no image available
Posted by pilot-425170 - 4 years ago

For peace of mind and of course safety why don't you get a local heating engineer to sort it out, it's not worth taking a risk to save a few Euros.

Sorry no image available
Posted by motocycliste - 4 years ago

Yes, the grades are basically the same. I believe the Premium has additives to prevent waxing to a  lower temperature and  to burn cleaner.

Sorry no image available

The burner we have is a Riello. I have been in contact with the company that makes them and they need to know what fuel is used in France, they will then supply a burner set up for the correct grade and type of fuel, hence the reason for asking

thanks for all the replies, they have burners converted to use red diesel ready to go, apparently they can then be adjusted in situ to suit the different grades.

is the premium and standard grade still diesel?

allan

Sorry no image available
Posted by bearfoot - 4 years ago

There are two types of fuel available; standard grade and premium. Your system could be using either. A burner from the UK may well not be set up correctly for french fuel as I believe it is different grade to that used in the UK. The system may just need cleaning out if it won't ignite.

Sorry no image available
Posted by motocycliste - 4 years ago

The common central heating fuel  is " Fioul Domestique" which is similar to red diesel.