DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Check your Orange internet bill carefully!

Posted by jeanneashcroft-407856 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 4 years ago

"It's just not worth the coronary, Jeanne - what Orange do is deceitful, but perfectly legal - it is in the small print. You do not have a case for complaint. The 'small print' runs to about 12 pages, as I recall! They will say that it is all there for you to read, so don't complain. Effectively, this ruse is inertia selling - but, it is in the small print."

Perfectly legal it may be, but how many people (French included) bother to read 12 pages of legalese small print?

Sorry no image available
Posted by paul & nadine - 4 years ago

I did complain and I got my money back - 2 charges of 19.99 and I didn't get any hassle. It was connect+.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Melou - 4 years ago

It's just not worth the coronary, Jeanne - what Orange do is deceitful, but perfectly legal - it is in the small print. You do not have a case for complaint. The 'small print' runs to about 12 pages, as I recall! They will say that it is all there for you to read, so don't complain. Effectively, this ruse is inertia selling - but, it is in the small print.

Move on . . . . . . and we can all learn by sharing the problem.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tregadilet - 4 years ago

Thanks for the warning Jeanne!

I have been with Orange and before that Wanadoo! for 13 years! and it is only now that some websites are allowed to charge without warning!!! with the service provider takin profit too (how much %) for viewing!!

I have taken heed and disabled these so called services on my Orange account (you need to login to do this and it is  difficult to find too!).

Dont need anyone to say these services are essential!

Sorry no image available
Posted by c2oafc-383379 - 4 years ago

Thanks for sharing 

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by jeanneashcroft-407856 - 4 years ago

You are quite right! It is to do with  Contact plus, and one can opt out of this "system" however, my bone of contention is: 

Firstly that it is in the small print

Secondly, nowhere is it made clear [at least not to me, amd I suspect may others] that it is charged automatically

Thirdly, that it is not clear WHICH sites charge, although to be fair, I have seen some where it is  obvious.

Having been with Orange a long time, this has only just started to happen[  and in an economic down turn, another way of obtaining money? ]  and it is "sharp" to say the least, as many people will not be aware what they are paying for,

I intend to put this matter to a memeber of the french government and find out the legal situation.......in the meantime, check your bill!

I have just checked my invoices, and it looks as if this started in 2015?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Philealing - 4 years ago

We changed to Orange about 18months ago and had the same problem. Contact+ was active when we started the account, even though we hadn't asked for it. Unbeknown to us when we accessed certain weather sites we were charged a premium rate. Managed to switch it off after the first bill and now all is well. I paid the first bill without challenging it as it was too much hassle for about five Euros or so.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LangeHaas - 4 years ago

Maybe it has something to do with internet+ or contact+. Never used it or seen sites that use it, but you can disable it in your espace client.

Sorry no image available
Posted by paul & nadine - 4 years ago

I was with Orange and had a similar problem. There is a "service" by which you can pay for things via your orange bill. You CAN unsubscribe. Phone the Orange English speaking phoneline and explain, and ask for refund. You will certainly be able to stop it happening again,

I got all my money back with no hassle. I am no longer with orange, so can' t help with what this "service" is called.

Posted by bartyb - 4 years ago

I'd love to know what site you've been looking at to get charged (if only to see the code required)

Orange's website says something quite different about the charges