DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Chickens & the veggie patch

Posted by nellyhei - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 3 years ago

I pre-germinate mine by soaking on a saucer lined with kitchen roll and water. I roll the peas around to make sure every side stays moist.  Change the water every day or two so it doesn't go grotty, and as soon as the little root starts to pop out, plant in compost.  If you leave them to soak for too long they go all slimey and fall apart when you pick them up, so watch for the root appearing!

Sorry no image available
Posted by RHS35 - 3 years ago

My dad in law swore by soaking the peas in parafin to keep the mice away. Not tried this method myself as i prefer to be completely organic.

Sorry no image available

If you pre-germinate your peas before you sow them, and start them off 5 to a 3" pot which you can then plant out as a group (9 pots to a m2) when they're 3-4" high,  you'll find the mice will probably leave them alone...  Not tried pre-soaking sunflower seeds, but can't see why it wouldn't work with them too :) 

Sorry no image available
Posted by tim brady - 3 years ago

a cat should do the trick Les Rouges

Sorry no image available
Posted by Les Rouges - 3 years ago

Hi, 

I've just moved my hens onto the veggie plot so they can weed the beds before I rotovate. I use an electrified chicken fence to keep the fox out and the hens in. Then it is off to the raspberry patch for a bit. In the old days they used to escape into the flower garden and create havoc, so I'm not sure they would be very helpful when the veggies are actually growing. 

Now all I need is something to sort out the perishing mice, they had all the peas and sunflower seed I'd sown last year!

Sorry no image available
Posted by nellyhei - 3 years ago

I'm thinking keeping salad stuff away from them and green beans, anything else I should do??

Thank you all so much good advice

Sorry no image available
Posted by greenandpleasant - 3 years ago

As others have said, they do scratch at everything and I have found they will gobble up swiss chard right down to the bottom of the stem, they love it.  I tend to keep mine partitioned off when I have anything I need to protect (though their partioned off bit is massive anyway!) though I have read if you direct a garden hose at them when they approach areas you don't want them in they can be trained not to go there after a few soakings!  Haven't tried this myself I have to add!

Sorry no image available

It's that green netting which builders attach to buildings to stop debris falling onto people below.  There's a picture of some here: http://www.jardinage-naturel.eu/shop/gb/11-garden-maintenance

Sorry no image available
Posted by nellyhei - 3 years ago

Thank you for all your replies, what is Debris Netting?? and where can I buy it ?

Sorry no image available

They'll devour anything from the brassica family, and scratch up other things as they look for worms and stuff.  I now cover all my young plants with debris netting while they're small, and remove the netting from some of them when they're big enough to defend themselves a bit (they need to be a good size first).  This way I can let the chooks into the veggie patch without worrying about Total Destruction while I'm not watching!