DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Clock advice

Posted by John E - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

Some of the 'French' clocks in the mantel style black slate.marble heavy cases used cheaper German movements , as opposed to the well made and finished French movements . As mentioned , most of the quality French movements have markings to denote effective penulum length, the German movements do not .

Are there any stamped trademarks on the movement backplate , names on a dial often relate to the retailer , and not a maker !!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kernowboy-10061199 - 3 years ago

Fish24 has a point, it might be easier and cheaper to go that route to start with.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kernowboy-10061199 - 3 years ago

Fish24 has a point, it might be easier and cheaper to go that route to start with.

Sorry no image available
Posted by John E - 3 years ago

Hello Theswerve

Re my clock: It's the type you put on a shelf or mantelpiece and made from black slate or marble. It works and chimes well but obviously races away without the pendulum. If you want to let me have your email address I could send you a picture.

Reagards

John

Sorry no image available
Posted by Theswerve - 3 years ago

John E. What type of pendulum clock is it ?. I am into French chiming wall clocks , cuckoo clocks and miscellaneous other clocks. I may be able to help . However  please note  I am a hobbyist , not a professional horologist.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fish24 - 3 years ago

Might be worth going back to the 'commune' organiser of the vide grenier as a Register is kept with the name and address of the people selling things and might be able to help you find the seller.

Sorry no image available
Posted by chèvrefeuille - 3 years ago

I have an cuckoo clock that has an adjustable pendulum, the weight slides up and down the shaft. You could probably buy something similar.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

We have a pendulum clock and as previous replies indicate there are important/critical factors involved, i.e. there is a length adjust ment on the pendulum on ours, an adjustment of a mil or two to the length makes a significant difference to the accuracy, a difference can be observed just with temp. changes no wonder Mr Harrison won a lot of dosh producing his 'ticker'. I wish you luck in finding a solution.

Kind Regards.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

This is a bit like 'how long is a bit of string'  a lot of information is needed as regards a pendulum that would be a atarting point for the clock running, and eventual correct regulation . Posting a picture of the clock would be some beginning ,.

If the clock is French , with a typical round French movement there maybe a liight shining at the ned of a long tunnel, many French movements have a stamped number on the backplate , that indicate the 'effective lenghth' of the pendulum in French inches ( pouce ) 

Otherwise , a time consuming excercise to experiment as to a suitable pendulum , and the clock may not have been working in the first place 

EM me if you want more advice about this ,

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

Without the old one as a pattern, how will you know how long or what weight is needed?  Both these are important factors.