DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Composite deck boards

Posted by TerryR-385906 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by andylekker - 3 years ago

i use stainless steel screws with oak and chestnut, they fo leak tannins but only for a while. after a year or so though it looks better and more natural than anything else.

Sorry no image available
Posted by noblesse-404553 - 3 years ago

I'd certainly avoid chestnut, as the tannin will come out when it gets wet! And you'd have to use the clips with oak because the tannin in the oak will react with metal screws to make a dark mark.

'Bois exotique' is what to look for - the favourite is ipé, which is almost indistructible and goes a nice grey over time.

janet

Sorry no image available
Posted by andylekker - 3 years ago

if you can afford it then consider oak or possibly chestnut. would last much longer than pine and looks better and better as it weathers. oak always looks good in a garden setting imo.

Sorry no image available

I doubt the Brico Depot promo boards were Trex boards!

As I said, if you can afford good quality composite and don't mind that they don't really look like wood, go ahead.

But you also have to add to the cost the clips you have to use to lay the boards, because you're not supposed to screw through them like you do with wood.

janet

Sorry no image available
Posted by shepherdscrook - 3 years ago

They had some in Bricodepot yesterday - near Dinan. it was out the front as a demo.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TerryR-385906 - 3 years ago

Yes, I've found it: http://www.trex.com/fr/

No prices though...

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 3 years ago

Doesn't look like it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TerryR-385906 - 3 years ago

HarleyRider,

Can you buy that in France?

Sorry no image available
Posted by HarleyRider58 - 3 years ago

Hi,

I have had several decks made out of Trex (brand named composite decking).  I would not go back to wood, ever.....

Cheers!

Sorry no image available

Hi,

I don't have personal experience of composite boards, but in the April/May issue of Maison & Travaux magazine (which should still be available in the supermarkets) there is an entire feature comparing the virtues and drawbacks of wood and composite.

From what I remember, their opinion was that if you can only afford the cheaper composite, go for wood instead because the cheaper composites tend to twist and wear out quickly,  but it would be best to read it for yourself.

janet