DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

compressed logs

Posted by myrtle-391965 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by nelly15 - 4 years ago

Had occurred to me to that it's doing that to the glass what's it doing to the chimney!

Sorry no image available
Posted by JLJ-429896 - 4 years ago

second the last proposal re chimney cleaning -do this more often than is necessary- if that makes sense. Use the poudre de ramonage regularly. Check vents, often at the top of the window to "self-clean", are clear. If it still tars up find a new supplier of logs- yours are damp.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Spitfire-980514 - 4 years ago

Hi,

If the logs you're burning are tarring up the glass on your stove / wood burner. It may be time to think of your chimney, because that will also be tarring up & may before long become a fire hazard.  

Just a thought, but may help in the long run.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 4 years ago

We use Briochin kitchen cleaner, contains caustic soda which really cuts through the tar. Don't forget that the black gunge is cancer causing so wear gloves or minimise contact and wash your hands straight away.

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by myrtle-391965 - 4 years ago

And, yes, kathyd2, we do know the difference with the logs.  Different supplier, guess they are made to a difference "recipe".

Sorry no image available
Posted by myrtle-391965 - 4 years ago

Thanks, chaps, as usual coming up with the good ideas!  its just so frustrating that it gets tarred up every single day.  Must be something in these particular logs - its not happened before, and unfortunately that supplier went out of business.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 4 years ago

Daft question probably, but are you sure you're not using longue duree logs by mistake? They go all sticky.. We also found our Esse was tarring up more if not running hot enough - don't leave it just ticking over.

Sorry no image available
Posted by monty's mate - 4 years ago

I find Oven Pride does a great job. 2 minutes per day. Not sure if it is available in France.

Sorry no image available
Posted by nelly15 - 4 years ago

I with blackwellies. I use a cleaner from Leroy for cleaning glass and what does not come off a gets removed with a Stanley blade in a holder used for windows after painting. It's the best way I've found. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Blackwellies - 4 years ago

Our log burner often gets a badly 'tarred up' door - hubbie is not well so it is often used 24/7 - I tend to use the usual spray product (sold for this purpose), and then scrape off the really bad residue with a stanley knife blade.  Doesn't scratch the glass and looks 'as new' when done.  Doesn't take too long either!