DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Computer problem

Posted by JohnP-390097 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by robhelliker - 3 years ago

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is free and works well.  Or open your web browser go to settings /manage search engines/ re set default and delete what you don want  or

click start button under computer select control panel -select network and internet -select internet options -check that the box has your preferd search engine if not delite and replace 

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

I would have my doubts that installing W10 will cure the problem, especially when you read other discussions relating to W10. Given the effort you have put in to resolve this, as well as the desparation you must be feeling by now, I would say it's time to try and find a local computer doctor, before the urge to use a sledgehammer kicks in. Whilst Paul in Corlay is too far away, he might know of someone nearer to you, who might be able to help. Good luck.

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

Sort the problem out or do a clean installation, doing an upgrade on a machine that already has problems is asking for trouble.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

I have spent a week trying to solve the problem and to no avail. If I can manage to download and install windows 10, will that remove the troublesome windows 8 and solve my problem?

Sorry no image available

Thank you AQ. I gave up yesterday because the desire to apply corrective maintanence with a sledge hammer was becoming overwhelming. This morning when I switched on, things have changed slightly and I can now access the device manager etc however I am still unable to delete or download any programmes or re-install. I am in Guiscriff (56) so a litle bit far from Corlay but it might come to that. I am busy today so I am not going to spend any time on PC but I think I will spend a little more time on it before I call in the experts. Thank you and all others for your help.  John

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

From everything you report John, it doesn't sound like a virus, but I could be wrong. However, given what you've tried, including all the tips from others, your best bet is a "computer doctor", who is surely able to sort this out for you. Not sure whereabouts you are - the only chap I know (Paul) near to me is based in Corlay and he should be able to sort it, if you are not too far away. His a-mail is  cgandpcservices@gmail.com

If he is not close enough, he might know someone who is.

Sorry no image available

I was running antivirus and anti-malware programmes. For some reason they didn't pick it up.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Joe-Huelgoat-383105 - 3 years ago

I know it does not help you but blaming the operating system is rather missing the point.

If you run a system that has little or no protection against virus or malware it will make absolutly no difference if you are running xp 7 8 or 8.1 or 10.

When you have sorted it a good starting point would be load something like Malwarebytes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JB2014 - 3 years ago

Not Ctrl F8. Just F8 for safe mode John

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

My experience has always been full reboot, format the hard drive erase windows and put it all back on again,you should have a back up copy tucked away on your hard drive,I put in a slave drive which I use to store everything and only use the main hard drive for the operating system so when I reboot I lose nothing, I have found from past experience that some viruses hide themselves very well and even when you think you have got rid they still pop back up again,total system reboot always works.