DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

cost of laying bitumen

Posted by tertraie - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lumbersexual-992851 - 3 years ago

COLAS...? The big boys!

45euros per m2 I would think includes some base preparation, that's around what we charge 45/60 euros depending on the ground works required.

The price I quoted per m2 is for laying of the enrobe only and is that of an independant company we use to supply and lay and includes tva.

Laying 'froid' enrobe yourself is a fools errand in my opinion.

Pays to shop around with your best poker face on so as not to be bent backwards over a barrel when it comes to the price which can be very variable when it comes to a quote.

Regards

Jack

Sorry no image available
Posted by avoican - 3 years ago

Ok I saw it I put the comma in the wrong place , so as I still said then it was a no brainer Colas wanted something like 45€ a m2 and god knows how long a wait !!  OK I'm not a pro but as it was cold Bitumen there was no hurry and the finish is perfect ...

Sorry no image available

Coverage Rates

Coverage rates are variable according to the thickness of each layer. Bitmac and asphalt are sold by weight 2.3t per m3 and the standard coverage rates we work with are...

25mm of 6mm dense wearing course - 15-19 m² per tonne 40mm of 10mm dense wearing course - 10-12 m² per tonne 50mm of 20mm open base course - 9-12 m² per tonne 50mm of 20mm dense base course - 8-10 m² per tonne 65mm of 28mm open base course - 7½-10 m² per tonne 65mm of 28mm dense base course - 6-7½ m² per tonne

Therefore if a ton covers approx 10m2  and costs 220euros = around 22euros per m2

PLUS... your delivery charge, plus hire of compaction machinery, plus your time, plus laying cold tarmac is far more effort than hot, plus your not a Pro and so the finish may not be either.

Regards

Jack

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fazabelle56 - 3 years ago

You'd better check your figures in the morning!

Sorry no image available

5-6 cm for a path is good , so on a over rated thickness say 15 mm per square meter its 25 kilos per m2 so 1 ton would be 25 m2 so if your path is 25 meters ? then its peanuts one ton does 40 meters at 15 cms thickness or 80 meters at 7.5 cms at 2,20€ a meter ... No brainer

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

Last time I had reason to have cold tarmac it was around €220 per tonne plus delivery on top. On this job it was laid at 5-6 mm thickness

Sorry no image available

Will you pray tell the members of this Parish the cost per m2 for cold tarmac 7cm thick.

Jack

Sorry no image available

What Jack didn't mention is that you can cold bitumen your path yourself for a fraction of the cost , you have it delivered  move it in your wheelbarrow and then compact it with a whackerplate (hired even) I just did my driveway entry this way and its perfect , its what the Commune workers do to repair the holes in the roads ...

Sorry no image available
Posted by rance-781573 - 3 years ago

Spot on lumbersexual.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tertraie - 3 years ago

Many thanks Jack. As mentioned in original post this is just a footpath and not for vehicles, however it looks as though we will just have to come up with some efficient way of getting grit off boots!