DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Dongles

Posted by grannydot-403561 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

Three Mobile have removed roaming charges and their MiFi box is a great little bit of kit and gives you a wirless connection. cheap as chips and works well, the one thing to check on is that the box has been set up for roaming, they often aren't.

Sorry no image available
Posted by grannydot-403561 - 3 years ago

he only has a payg english phone, not an i phone, a bog standard phone that makes calssa and sends texts, so not an easy solution. we have discussed with him about a contract uk phone is possibly the easiest way.

Sorry no image available
Posted by buttermaker - 3 years ago

Friends of mine have a holiday home here and rely on their UK mobiles for all phone calls as they are included in their contracts. For access to the Internet they decided to use a smartphone they already own with a French PAYG SIM card with data to create a personal hotspot. The then connect other devices to it to go online. It works for them and meant that they did not have to buy any additional hardware or tie themselves up in French contracts.

Sorry no image available
Posted by junkanoo - 3 years ago

Hi

Yes, you have to get a sim card though with either a PAYG subscription or a monthly one. 

Cheers

Sorry no image available

Thanks junkanoo.  Never having needed one, have never looked into it before,  you say it works off the phone network but no Need for a phone, just uses the network. Am I right.

Sorry no image available
Posted by junkanoo - 3 years ago

Hi,

The orange dongle is called a domino, I think. It works off the mobile phone network and is not reliant on hotspots.

Cheers

Sorry no image available

Thank you fitter, that was my first instinct, but I was wondering if anyone knew wnether there was any hot spots also. I suppose orange would/should know.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Try your local Orange shop - they do a dongle for a laptop don't know the cost but it's not megabucks.