DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Doors and windows from the UK?

Posted by XLR - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by plouyepaul - 3 years ago

If you order tilt and turn windows from the UK (called oscillo batant here *sp)they will be inward opening not outward. We bought a door and frames from a UK company, had them collected by a gentleman who does that sort of thing here and the whole thing was excellent. We saved a bundle of money. Having had a quote here from an English speaking firm I can confirm we saved at least 50%. I am taking a reasonable installation cost into account becasue I am fitting them myself, not such a difficult job if you have reasonable DIY skills and a modicum of common sense! The windows we ordered from the company we used were a very realistic dark woodgrain on the outside and white on the inside, they also do all the trims and professional foam filling equipment too at tradish prices. I would recommend you do not use the foam from your local brico, it is less controlable and can lead to 'tight fitting' openers! The professional stuff is easier to use and less wasteful too.

Hope this helps.

Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 3 years ago

Brittany PVC, if you must have British windows/doors you should contact them.  You will get what you are looking for but without the trouble of  ordering from the UK yourself.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerjoly@corlay - 3 years ago

Have you tried contacting Brittany PVC, they do a supply only if you want to fit them yourselves. Check out their web site www.brittanypvc.com or put a posting on anglo to get feeb back from customers who have used them.

Good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by XLR - 3 years ago

Ease of language and the option to collect in person with a van. But I'd be interested to hear about the German company, maybe you can send me a private message? Thanks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by camion - 3 years ago

Why the Uk, there is a very good German manufaturer of windows that supply to France.

Sorry no image available
Posted by XLR - 3 years ago

Hi, thanks for all the replies. We are restoring two old houses (1880's ish) so none of the windows are standard sizes. Whatever we buy would have to be made to order - was just wondering if any significant savings could be made by ordering them from a UK company.

I'll look at the websites suggested above too. Cheers.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Renard35 - 3 years ago

Had front windows manufactured in wood here in france the rest at the rear due to north facing at getting the worse weather we ordered in from UK. All open inwards have been installed for 13 yrs no problem but then my hubby is a professional installer of UPvc windows and doors and knows all the tricks very happy with them all and soooooooo much cheaper than made to measure ones here in France.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

Hi. think very carefully before ordering open inward upvc doors from the UK,they are not a standard item,although they will manucfaturer them for you,we bought 6 sets of double doors from UK and they were a nightmare to make rain proof,ended up putting upvc weather bars on each door and as there were no weep holes had to drill a series of hole to let the water out,then cover with a vent,not really worth the time and effort,had several people look at them but ended up adjusting/ re adjusting them several times.sabc15.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

I think Castorama and brico are part of the Kingfisher group  .So international .

Sorry no image available
Posted by kervéor - 3 years ago

Lapeyre ,also the windows open inwards .If not Bricodepot has a slightly less better quality ,Castorama more expensive but part of same group .Don't forget std feench sizing will also be cheaper and alot less making good afterwards.