DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

EDF

Posted by kevanfee - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kevanfee - 3 years ago

Thank you for your responses - sorry to have bored those who have already discussed it many times. The first I knew about it was this morning when my bill arrived. Now I know. Thank you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by LilyP - 3 years ago

Re. the amount payable..... my yearly bill is approx. €800 and I was charged only €1.60 for the back payment..... Was expecting much more after reading what some people have paid. 

As one person has said..... been discussed many times - end of I suppose.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

kevan, the tariff is set by the government not by edf. In 2012 the government took a political decision to keep the price artificially low even though its technical advisors had advised that the price was unsustainable and needed to be higher. Now the government has looked at the black hole they created, realised that they made a wrong decision, and instructed EDF to implement a retrospective increase. 

If you compare electricity prices in France v the UK over this period you'll see that France's prices were extraordinarily low.

I'm not a great fan of EDF but blame where blame is due.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kevanfee - 3 years ago

I kinda thought that might be the case. The government said no to a price rise, but now their prices have gone up they are effectively taking the money the government said they were not to have. If they can do this does that not open the door to anyone who had a price cap imposed and later relaxed to go back and recoup the money they wanted rather than the money they got?

And, hey! if you can do that - what about all those peeps who had wage caps?

And as EDF has no competition, they can do whatever they please - so glad I am contributing to some footballer's sponsorship.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

AFAIK the retrospective increase (not a mistake, a government decision) is a small percentage on the units of electricity used. There is no retrospective increase on the abonnement.

As Brian Stone says, it's been discussed and discussed and discussed but at the end of the day, everybody has to pay it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Brian Stone - 3 years ago

This has been discussed elsewhere on AI. It results from the fact that the Giovernment had restricted price increases, but that poicy has now been relaxed. EDF is now recouping the shortfall.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by jimbo99-445600 - 3 years ago

so they made a mistake at their end and want you to pay for it ?