DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

EDF change of hours

Posted by Vannetais - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Why not use your washing machine on a timer to come on during the night instead of using all your hot water during the day? This is why French washing machines are cold fill only Secondly EDF do not control the hours you can have hot water-you do- EDF only controls the hours that they make certain offers and tariffs available

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

How can EDF control your hours of hot water?  Isn't it each household who sets their timer?  The only thing EDF do is take your money (well, they are a business!) depending on whether you use cheap or regular tariff.

The cheap tariff hours were changed to encourage people to use electricity during the night when demand is less.  This is to try and avoid cuts, especially during the winter when people are using more.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Vannetais - 3 years ago

Just an to update from my last post, sorry I got it wrong about two timers. We only needed one, it controls the on and off times between peak rate and economny rate.

Our French electrician did mention that he thought that EDF should not be controlling our hours of hot water, that really it should be the customer, well this is France.

If anyone is intrested in how this was done ping me and email.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Vannetais - 3 years ago

Ok guys thank you for your comments, some good and some laughable to say the least.

I have received an email from an electrician who is a member of AI, he recommends two timers, one timer set for the “Top Up” on heure Plein to operate from 3.30 pm until 6.00 pm the another timer to come on at midnight and to run until 5.00 am on the Creuse tariff. This will do away with the Jour Nuit switch. I can then alter the times to which suites us.

We all shower in the morning, the washing machine is English meaning Hot water taken from the cylinder, then in the evening after sports showers again and then there is the washing up. So I would say consumption slightly more than your average retired couple.

The two timers would give me some form of autonomy over the times I need the water on, and yes the Creuse is a lot cheaper. Plus when family come to stay the demand is greater.

The cylinder is housed in a well-insulated cupboard under the stairs and our house is recently built so no worries there.   

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

As ingetje says - the water in your cylinder should stay hot throughout the day, unless of course you are using most of it during the day time.

Perhaps the cylinder isn't big enough for your family needs - a 300 litre  capacity is the recommended size for a family of 4/5 people, but there are still many 200 or even 150 litre tanks in use - fine for a couple but perhaps not for a family.

Although all tanks are supplied pre-insulated (only about 40mm), they still lose heat, especially if sited in the garage, roof space or some other unheated area. Wrapping extra insulation round the cylinder and on top can make a big difference (you can use a roll of foil wrapped loft insulation, either 100 or 150 mm thick and losely tie it round with string to keep it in place).

More recent houses (since 2005 I think) must have the hot water cylinder in the main part of the house, where it is warmer, but even these can keep their heat for longer with extra insulation.

The other point to check is the thermostat - it might not be set hot enough. Whilst you don't want the water to come out scalding, it needs to be at least hand hot (about 65 degrees is about right), ie so you need to add a bit of cold to make it bearable when say, doing the washing up.  Not only will this ensure that legionella is killed off, but should result in the water staying hotter for longer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

I've seen a few people with a socket on the wall and a plug in timer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

Quite clearly the change of hours has been inconvenient for your familys lifestyle so really you are going to have to change the way that you use the chauffe eau and change your tarif so the chauffe eau can be used in the evening without costing a fortune.In any event I was always under the impression that it is more economical to keep your chauffe eau on 24/7 with thermostat control.The other alternative would be to use some other form of water heating but if you only have electric then that is no good

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Vannetais - As you say, there is a manual override, but you need to be there to switch it on, which I assume you are not. I do not know of any timer facility to give you an automatic late afternoon full price boost, though it cannot be beyond the scope of a good electrician to install something.

Given the relatively small difference between day and night price, it would be simpler to set the chauffe eau switch to remain on all the time.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ingetje - 3 years ago

EDF are chaning this everywhere, so not just you. and of course they wont change it!!

but...why would your water be cold by the evening?? seems very strange as My boiler stays warm for about a week after turning it of....put some insulation around it adn it wil be fine, or a new boiler with better insulation perhaps?

Sorry no image available
Posted by dozygirl-10045474 - 3 years ago

I have creuse between 22.30 and 06.30 and the price is 6 cents.  Other hours are 10 cents.  Big difference.