DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Electric heating

Posted by jandave - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Or how about this one from Darty (and others are available).

http://www.darty.com/nav/achat/gros_electromenager/chauffage_climatisation/panneau_rayonnant_convecteur/proline_radiant_r150.html

This is free-standing, so it can be simply plugged into a power socket.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Annabelle's Papa - 3 years ago

Does anyone have any experience of the Radiateurs Inertie, they seem superior to the oil filled radiators, I found this freestanding/wall mountable version on amazon.fr, I might be tempted to try one out if anyone can recommend.

http://www.amazon.fr/Taurus-Cairo-Radiateur-électrique-inertie/dp/B009K2UUBI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1446207599&sr=8-10&keywords=radiateur+inertie

Many thanks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Fully understand why you want to go down the electric route. Technically, all electric radiators are close to 100% efficient, no losses through flues etc, all the electricity consumed is converted to heat. Simple convectors are the cheapest to buy and being lightweight, easy to fix to a wall. Oil filled or stone cored are a  bit slower to react to adjustment, but diffuse heat more gently, cool down a little slower, but are more expensive (some  very much so) and heavier to mount onthe wall.

Another type is radiant. Instead of a narrow warm air grill near the top, these have a grill across the whole of the front, with a heated metal panel behind which projects radiant heat outwards through the front grill, just like a central heating radiator. These are the next cheapest to buy as the simple convectors, easily bought from Brico Depot or Leroy Merlin. They are also light and easy to hang on the wall, as well as very effective. I have used this sort and find them to be efficient. 

Don't forget that fixed appliances like these are  not meant to be plugged into a power point. They are designed to be wired into their own separate circuit going back to cicuit breakers on the consumer unit.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Annabelle's Papa - 3 years ago

We have a house which has a large (18kw) multifuel stove/log burner and we have electric oil filled radiators, all have thermostats and timers and I think they are brilliant, ours are Delonghi and can be plugged in or wall mountable. So what we did was to position them in rooms and move around for best heating, once we were happy with the right locatio, we had them wired in and fitted to the walls. Our bills are not excessive but we mainly use the stove with wood and coal for overnight burning and then heat the rooms we use with the radiators, being on a thermostat they only come on when the stove is not hot enough, which is rare during the day and evening, the heaters come on in the  mornings and the house is cosy until I fire up the stove again.

Brico Depot has a new range which are electric and are not oil filled but are called Inertie Seche and a 2kw thermostat and programable timer version start at 199€ and a DeLonghi version for 339 € (p 300-302 in their catalogue) but it now has a remote control which I think is useless and would potentially get lost or mixed up with the remotes from other radiators.

Why not buy just one and see how you get on or buy a 2kw portable oil filled radiator that has a thermostat and a timer that will plug in and you can wheel around. If you already have a plug in timer, Brico Depot has a portable oil filled radiator for 39.90 € (p 307 in their catalogue).

The other good thing is that if any break in the future, you can just replace the single unit not the whole system.

Good luck and don't forget to tell us how you get on.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jandave - 3 years ago

Hi to those that replied and thank you. I failed to mention even though I have an oil burner and some radiators at present the system is old and does not work properly. The boiler dates from the 70's so everything would need replacing,incuring large costs so seems a better idea, in our situation, to go for removal and electric radiators. I would therefore request again, if anyone would like to share their experiences of electric heaters I would be grateful.

Sorry no image available
Posted by enthuisiasm - 3 years ago

Go for oil, now is the time to fill up your tank. Have a recommended artisan to service and advise.   Insulate inner walls with a good thermo vynal wallpaper. Insulate your loft. Cling film on your windows. Sausage dog draft excluders behind your inner doors. Long Johns. Bottle cognac, bingo. Bad snow predicted. errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. .  

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mazarron-10056524 - 3 years ago

It is important to look at the cost of heat (€/mJ). Oil is very cheap at the moment and is looking to go cheaper. Electricity on the other hand is looking to go higher. The cost of removal and then installation of new equipment may not be justified. The efficiency of electricity and the infeed will also be factors to include.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Init - 3 years ago

I made the change about 8yrs ago and fitted mid range( about €180 - €250) ,leroy merlin heaters with a stone (there are different types) heat retainer in, and have been quite satisfied. There are almost certainly more heat efficient heaters, but you have to weigh up what they cost and how much you will save over how long. Good luck.

Init