DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

End of Roaming Charges - good news or bad

Posted by georgeV-988991 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by badlittlemonkey - 3 years ago

a3 -

O2 have had that rule for quite a few years now, and I was caught out about 6 years ago because I only used my mobile for texts and emergencies. The guy at O2 said every 6 months to just phone my own landline, wait for the answering machine or voicemail to pick up and then ring off. He stressed the need for the phone to be answered so a charge can be made. So I use Google Calendar to remind me every 6 months, but I hadn't realised it could have changed to 3 months.

Sorry no image available
Posted by les wazzo - 3 years ago

Very good news for people who, like us, live near a frontier.  We can be switched from French to Spanish networks just by crossing the road.  We simply keep our phones permanantly on the 'no roaming' setting  to avoid picking up extra charges for roaming phone and internet use, unless of course we really need to make a call when picking up the Spanish network, but it would be nice not to have to bother about it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by staffordian - 3 years ago

Will keep an eye on it.I do use it to text pretty regularly .I will also make sure I only top it up by £10 each time so they can't rob me by too much.

Thank you for the info.

Sorry no image available
Posted by a3 - 3 years ago

Staffordian beware re your uk payg. I kept a vodafone payg for 6+ years for use for texting uk mobiles and for use on visits to the uk thereby avoiding roaming charges on my orange mobile. It was also set up receive a weekly text from my uk bank.

As time has gone on I have been less attentive than I was on keeping the phone charged but previously there were extended periods when it was off with no issues. There was a healthy £30 balance on the account. A friend was coming over so I switched it on only to discover the sim would not register. I have since been to the uk and visited a vodafone shop who told me bluntly as i had not used the phone for an extended period the money and number were now forfeited! Google it and you will find that the tele coms regulator does not want a lot of idle nos in the system so has told the companies to close the accounts the sweetner being they get to keep any unused cash......so now in effect the uk system is the same as here, use it or loes it. It seems receipt of texts is not enough you have to make outgoing texts or calls at cost at least every 3 months. To say I felt cheated is an understatement .......

Sorry no image available
Posted by staffordian - 3 years ago

I have an English Mobile and have had it for years.Its a PAYG.

Nobody who knows me ever rings on that number.but when I am in the UK it is used a lot.

I use it for texting over here only.We have a perfectly good land line and a laptop and IPad.

The mobile isn't used much and I can't see the point in changing it to a French one that cuts you off it it isn't used

Sorry no image available
Posted by buttermaker - 3 years ago

For people on holiday it can only be good news although many contracts already allow free international use. For French residents I cannot understand why anyone would want anything but a French number. I would not expect the majority of the people who phone me to pay an international charge every time they do so.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mervyn Weston - 3 years ago

Dear George V

Thank you for your comments, I will test it tomorrow when I go shopping in Rostrenen, EE sent me a new sim 12 months ago as the old one they told me had worn out !! The new one was much smaller but it seemed to work. I recently purchased a memory card for my sat nav and noticed the small ones had a holder so I'm surprised EE didn't send one. Have just checked my mobile and see there is service !! Will let you know my progress.

Regards,  Mervyn.

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

Just another thought.  There is some re-configuration of 3G masts to enable the introducation of 4G.  It could just be that the capabilities of your nearest mast have diminised to allow 4G.  I guess given the age of your phone it will not be capable of 4G.  Give it a try in a strong signal area and see what happens.

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

I would doubt it as I cannot find any announcement by EE on a fair use policy for roaming.  I would rather suspect that the SIM might be faulty.  Try turning off your phone, take out the SIM and give it a rub and then boot up the phone again.  To be sure go somewhere you know has a strong signal. 

If still no signal you will have to ring EE.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mervyn Weston - 3 years ago

Hello,

I read this tread a few days ago, I have had a uk mobile here in France since 2006 with no problem, don't use it that much only for text messages. Its a pay as you go Orange/EE system. However today its came up with SOS so I checked out why and it said emegancy calls only ?? I know I live in a remote area but never had this before. Sometimes have to go outside to get a signal. Could this now be down to the new roaming thing ?? Any idears would be welcome.

Regards.  Mervyn.