DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Equivalent

Posted by rhys1 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

You do have a point.  If I was well off I certainly would buy from the small retailer instead of the big discount franchise types.  The little guy does have a local reputation to protect.  The big boys couldn't care less.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

John Lewis in France with their quality of UK customer service - would be fantastic! Sadly, suspect  French retailers keep them out by scaring the managent of JL stiff with the French employment law and 35hr week. Maybe they will eventually follow M&S - we hope.

Too bad Hollande is too weak to deregulate the economy and spur greater service/quality.

Maybe smaller local retaillers are better with a reputation to lose or reinforce.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Itwasntme-998041 - 3 years ago

John Lewis Equivalent here in France  you are kidding, if French stores customer service was half as good as John Lewis, waitrose wouldn't it be great. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by woody-383477 - 3 years ago

I tried to nuy a food mixer from JL and they wouldn't do it - maybe because it was an electrical item?

Sorry no image available
Posted by rhys1 - 3 years ago

Well no  but something easily transportable  ( like a large screen tv )  could be  cartloaded back in the back of the car as and when necessary. 

Just I have found the J~L  attitude to their guarantee ( hassle free and automatic )  refreshing  ( on the rare occasions I have had to rely on it - mostly their stuff is just v reliable ). 

Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 3 years ago

The plugs would be the least of your  worries,  I can't imagine JL coming to France to collect faulty electrical goods for repair!

Sorry no image available
Posted by rhys1 - 3 years ago

Thanks for replies.

Looks like it has to be large supermarkets then. 

I had thought of just getting stuff from J L  but as regards electricals there might be a problem with the plugs  ~ I know you can just use an adaptor but I am not sure how safe that is long term for electricals that use a lot of power  ~eg washing machines / heaters. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by izzyandclive - 3 years ago

John Lewis will deliver to France though not everything see their website for what they will deliver - I haven't tried myself

http://fr.johnlewis.com/customer-services/international-delivery-landingpage?intcmp=intl_hp_rt_1_lp_x240313

Sorry no image available
Posted by one4all-436374 - 3 years ago

All the Hypermarkets like Leclerc, Carrefour, Geant offer a comprehensive range of household products including furniture and electrical goods. As to guarantees and refunds, I have personally never had any problems when asking for exchange or refunds but from postings on this site, others have sometimes encountered difficulties.

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 3 years ago

In answer to your question - no.