DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Fair offer without insult

Posted by Loopy-Laine - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Had a little wander around Dinan and Saint Malo yesterday, a little look in a few agents windows soon told me the market is not depressed around there, hav'nt been to Saint Malo for quite a while and quite surprised how busy the place was. As I said before the French property market is not depressed nationally, its limited to certain regions and certain parts of these regions, some places you can't buy a house for love nor money, what we all need to do is stop comparing everything to the old country.

Sorry no image available
Posted by oldminiman-10052272 - 3 years ago

50%, I agree is an insult and having sold in France I think I would send you on your way with a flea in your ear.  15 - 20% might be acceptable to some if the property has been on for some time.  I took about 25% off mine to sale as we were desperate, now we are desperate to come back and will be looking to do so this year.

Sorry no image available
Posted by southernson - 3 years ago

Hi you dont say whether that's because you put a few thousand miles in with a heavily loaded trailer of GB sourced materials? I shop around all over Central Brittany, brocantes, trocs, vides as well as the bricolages as I enjoy discussing materials and approaches. Brico depot is great for a half day out wandering and looking (3 different priced ranges!!!! for most electrical/plumbing goods). They also provide great little catalogues and a reasonable on-line service. Mind you it does help if you can talk to them  in French ... but after 20 years you must be fluent.

Sorry no image available

I wouldn't worry too much, most of the brit panic sellers have sold, most of the viable cheap doer uppers have sold, there is now a shortage of decent cheaper property and the knock on effect  is Brit buyers are having to rethink their budgets, looks like the days of a large old house and a shed load of acres are over, election next year, hollande gone sarko back, brakes off the economy and for house prices, the only way is up.

Sorry no image available
Posted by oakley-419073 - 3 years ago

Why do the Brits think it is OK to offer such silly prices on houses for sale??  It is such an insult to offer 50% less especially on a cheap house, even if it requires work.       A building plot can cost more than a house with the 50% off !!!   If we ever decide to sell I will certainly not be aiming at the Brit market.  If that is normal British mentality then I will never go back there. 

Sorry no image available

Britline operate in English and as far as I know once you have moved over here permanently then just inform your UK bank of your change of address, I think you will find the problem lies in trying to open an account with a UK bank when you are French resident.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ziggy Stardust - 3 years ago

I have kept my UK accounts. They work here fine, but you get charged a transaction fee each time you buy something. Not a huge amount, but it's there. One of the accounts I changed to my French address, one I told them I was moving to France and gave them a UK correspondence address so I still have an account there. I opened an account with Credit Agricole once I got here. Between my poor French and their good English it was painless and quick. Just took in my passport. Cheque book and cards arrived within a week and it was then just a case of finding the cheapest and easiest way of transferring money from Barclays to CA. I use Transferwise as it's very simple and cheap, but there are other companies that do the same thing far cheaper than the banks.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Roebuck - 3 years ago

Try https://www.britline.com you are able to open an (English speaking) account online with Credit Agricole ????

Sorry no image available
Posted by Loopy-Laine - 3 years ago

Thanks for all the info so far, it is much appreciated. Hope you do not mind me asking but I was also thinking, can you open a bank account in a french bank if you are still i n the UK or do you need a french address? Is there a UK account that is ok in france? I want to open an account when I am over in April, what stuff, like documents and the like do I need? 

Sorry no image available
Posted by chèvrefeuille - 3 years ago

Brico Depot is not an essential ingredient when choosing the location for your new house. I bought mine over 20 years ago and have managed to survive perfectly well without entering Brico Depot once. What's the saying? By cheap, buy twice.