DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Fire Wood

Posted by Older Punk - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Exmansworthy-10052202 - 3 years ago

Olderpunk...I think you will find the cubic volume in a quote 6/7€ smaller bag unquote will calculate as VERY expensive  & the supermarkets do run out when the snow comes down & demand is high. Far better to buy in juillet/août when the logs are dry so you can stack them ready for use & continue seasoning for a few more months.

Sorry no image available

Olderpunk...I think you will find the cubic volume in a quote 6/7€ smaller bag unquote will calculate as VERY expensive  & the supermarkets do run out when the snow comes down & demand is high. Far better to buy in juillet/août when the logs are dry so you can stack them ready for use & continue seasoning for a few more months.

Sorry no image available
Posted by grannydot-403561 - 3 years ago

We are in Rostrenen and have just ordered some. Quoted 205€ for a cord. Didn't have any last year, but the year before it was 190€ a cord. Been getting off the same person for at least the last 5 yrs.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Millisle - 3 years ago

Thought we might have been lucky-but  Barty's right not in this area--and posh loads ,- that would be Braf!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by normandytreesurgery - 3 years ago

I saw this advert pop up on this site, maybe they are near you.

Says most areas covered but along long way from me!

http://brittany.angloinfo.com/classifieds/viewfeatured/663110/firewood-bois-de-chauffage

Cheers Jason

Sorry no image available
Posted by Older Punk - 3 years ago

Thanks for the posts- gives me an idea at least. So 6/7 euros for a smallish bag in a supermarket isn't that excessive by the looks of things.

Sorry no image available
Posted by normandytreesurgery - 3 years ago

Hello,

A stere is a volumetric measurement and is variable depending on the space between the split logs as smaller logs reduces the air space.

A stere made of 1m long split logs = 1m3

When made up of 50cm logs = .8m3

And if made up of 33cm logs = .7m3

Finally for 25cm logs = .6m3

So a cord is 3 x the chosen stere.

http://abibois.com/se-chauffer-au-bois/corde-stere-m3-quelle-unite-de-vente-pour-le-bois-de-chauffage.html

Cheers

Jason

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

wish I lived where you live, €65 /stere around here cut to 50cm and 20% or so more cut to 30cm. A (Bretton) neighbor has been all around and got a €175.cord for 15 cords for our little hamlet for mixed hardwood (nvere seen posh 80/20mix)

Sorry no image available

If it helps generally the price is 53-56€ per stere cut & split in either 300 or 500mm lengths delivered for 80% oak & 20% other.

Sorry no image available
Posted by GoneandDunit - 3 years ago

A chord (around here in 35) is 3 stere, a stere is 1mcube, cost is €170 cut to 30cm and delivered.

Quality is good and burns fine, seems to be a mix of types.