DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Garden Lime

Posted by sprossie - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sprossie - 3 years ago

Thank you everyone. I was told to mix lime in a gallon of water. I now think im going to disgard the fruit thats affected and keep to a good water/ventilation regime. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by andylekker - 3 years ago

i would say liming the soil is inadvisable for tomatoes as they like a slightly acidic soil, also lime is slow acting and unlikely to solve the problem in the short term

buster has it right when he says that it is more to do with not enough water or uneven watering, also you want to keep the tunnel well ventilated and not let it get too hot.

worm castings found in garden compost have a goodly amount of calcium and wont raise the pH too much. i would water well and mulch with compost.

Sorry no image available
Posted by buster-784461 - 3 years ago

It can also be because the plant doest have the moisture/water to take up the element from the soil!

So just make sure they have a reasonable drink once per week!

I usually find the end rot on the first few toms as I forget to water when the weather is not too hot.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sprossie - 3 years ago

My tomato plants have blossom end rot and have been told its calcium deficiency and the only way to stop it is to put lime/walter mix on them. They are in a polytunnel in containers so only need a verysmall amount.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

Hi sprossie,   most garden centres will have sacks under the label chaux vive.  If I can add   (I assume you know its uses, tho this may help others..)  it kills bugs etc by dehydrating them, so will do untold damage to your skin and your eyes.   Plus, it is OK only in a seasonal cycle on the land, which is why the french say it enriches the father and bankrupts the kids!    Building suppliers sell slaked lime, chaux éteinte, which could be better if it has a magnesium content too, (dolomite).