DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

gardening noises

Posted by sirius-400550 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by buttermaker - 3 years ago

One of my neighbours is a working stables. They operate farm machinery from early in the morning to late at night. They are busy at weekends too. I have never considered the noise to be an intrusion, just part and parcel of living in the countryside.

Posted by itinerant child-414831 - 3 years ago

Bonjour,as previously mentioned,it depends on your commune. If you ask the maire he or she will tell you the acceptable hours in that commune.

I have gardened in france for over fifteen years and have always just played the respectful card when it comes to loud machinery. some people like a lay in bed in the morning so be respectful to them as with people who want a quiet lunchtime and evening.

I sometimes start work as early as 6am,but will wait until 8 before firing up any machine and will always take a little pause at lunchtime to do any other manual jobs and will not use machines after 7pm. If you are in a realy remote area,then talk to your nearest neighbours and ask if they do not mind.

The high majority of complaints are from disgruntled neighbours,so keep them happy.

Luvnstuff

Jamie xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 3 years ago

Perhaps the poster has spoken to the neighbour and that is why he/she has not replied yet.  Maybe they could let us know what happened.

Sorry no image available
Posted by candid - 3 years ago

Have you spoken to your neighbour at all about this problem?

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

This is what my friend Gwen published in her newsletter.  She is French but lived in the UK for quite a few years and is married to an English Man.  She understands the problem.

The Prefecture at Morbihan has decided that you may cut your grass Monday to Friday from 0900 to 1200 and from 1400 to 1930.  Saturday 0900 to 1200 and 1500 to 1900 and on Sunday and Bank Holidays from 0900 to 1200.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

Washing my car yesterday and had radio playing 40's music. Neighbours came down their orchard and I said sorry I would turn it down. "No" was the reply and they started to do a quickstep!!!! Never had any problems with our neighbours in 13 years.

Sorry no image available
Posted by blingbling - 3 years ago

Professionals do not have to stop for lunch if they do not want to. Residential is normally from 8/9 to 12 & 2-7:30/8pm. Just depends on your commune.

I know when my brit neighbors are having a nice Saturday lunch that goes past 2pm, I get out my big breaker and start tearing up 1 of the terraces around my house(they need to come out). Or strim my grass instead of using the mower or crank up the chainsaw and cut some wood for an hour or 2. This is because of their always barking dog. As B2B said. Tit for Tat.

Sorry no image available
Posted by brian2bin - 3 years ago

Gleaning past posts perhaps your many dogs are annoying the neighbours and this gardening noise is a bit of tit for tat.? It just maybe thay your noise started this and annoyed innocent people forced to put up with a noisy neighbour !

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

That's true in a way brian2bin, but it depends where you live. In France more than the UK, when you buy a house you are also buying into the commune. There's quite a strong community spirit in a lot of small places, people know each other because they've mostly lived there for ever, and mostly they want their commune to stay a peaceful place with a good quality of life for everybody. So if there's a dispute between two neighbours, it doesn't tend to stay between two neighbours for long because other people take sides and usually the person that is generally felt to be in the wrong, will feel the weight of general disapproval against them.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sarah - 3 years ago

We were told (13 years ago) that you didn't cut the grass on a Sunday and also between 12:00 - 14:00 the rest of the week.  This has changed a bit & if our neighbours are cutting their grass we do :) but then they are related to the mairie so that helps!