DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Geant extended warranties not new for old

Posted by Bod - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bod - 3 years ago

Tigre, yes the policy was done there and then at time of purchase, one of these policies that they say you can't do it another time, it's now or never. In fact it was very rushed as we arrived at the shop in good time and they took so long to actually get the tv sorted out that they were rushing to finish it before closing if I remember right. It took so long, we would have walked out except we wanted that TV.

I dont know if there was a cooling off period, but I don't remember being told about one.

A slight update on the situation, we went last night to claim our "bon" as mentioned on the letter before our week was up, (which incedently I find incredible also  - 1 week to claim it, we could easily have been away for 2 weeks in July and then what?, but thats another issue.) To give a little credit, not that they deserve much, they asked if we wanted a bon or refund on to our bank card, so we took the refund so we can go elsewhere for the replacement.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tigre-979768 - 3 years ago

Alison, I also think it's good that you have brought this to the attention on this forum. Did you have to sign the paperwork in the shop for this insurance on the day you purchased the TV? If yes, was there a cooling off period, which would have given you time to translate the docs? If not, it's very difficult to understand all the ins and outs of a policy in another language on the spot for a lot of us, probably best avoided if your french is not very good.  We often take things in good faith, a lesson for us all, thank you again.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie hunton - 3 years ago

It's not just French ones its all of them why do you think they push so hard to sell you one.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

I can't imagine why anyone would want to pay extra to extend a French waranty, knowing how worthless they are in the first place.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie hunton - 3 years ago

You will also find that a lot of peoples house insurance policies include similar clauses,with a lot of electrical items they are devalued over a period of time and then worthless ,I found this out when making a claim for some storm damaged items,storm damage was covered in the policy but I only got 50% of the true value because the gear was over two years old ,I changed insurers and made sure new policy was new for old with no age related write off.we had same problem as op with an extended warranty on a washing machine ,written off and got half the value,but it was more than the insurance cost and if we had not had the policy then we would have had nothing,with your TV buy something else from geant with the money they allow you then go to electro depot for a TV ,they are cheaper and their after sales service is very good

Sorry no image available
Posted by rua-408032 - 3 years ago

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this information, we are currently looking at buying a new TV and your experience is a pertinent warning so far as warranties are concerned.

Regards

Rua

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bod - 3 years ago

Well this is my point.

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

"Who actually reads the full contract" Well everyone should-that way you know what you are getting whether its warranties car insurance estate agents contracts  and the like and if you do not understand ask and do not assume that because a contract works one way in the uk it will be the same here or even the same from shop to shop.So never assume anything.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

My experience of extended warranties in the UK was not good, I found them expensive and too many "get out" clauses. I had enough problems with manufacturers warranties. On one occasion I bought a new Toshiba 32" TV from comet which back then cost over £800. Within the first 6 weeks it literally went bang. They sent an engineer wo said he couldn't repair it on site and took it away with no replacement. After 4 weeks of phone calls and the threat of taking them to court, they eventually told me it was beyond economic repair and I could have a new replacement from the store but they didn't have the same model available so I chose an equivalent Sony model which was £50 more. I suggested they should waive the difference for the inconvenience and being without a TV for 4 weeks but they wouldn't and made me pay the difference. I never shopped there again.

I must admit I have never a problem with warranties here in France, always replaced items without question but reading some threads on here it seems I have been fortunate. It seems to be the luck of the draw in both countries

Sorry no image available
Posted by one4all-436374 - 3 years ago

Stories like Alison's are the exception -  reports from Consumer Associations state that the majority of the extended guarantees are an unnecessary expense and are just extra profit for the stores or incentive for the sales staff.