DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Geminox Astrane boiler

Posted by bennythefence - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tickletoes - 3 years ago

Thanks for the tip helicopterrob. I will wait a few days however until the spare pump turns up, just incase I do something stupid with the o-ring.

Sorry no image available
Posted by bennythefence - 3 years ago

A lot of smoke and fumes internally on start up was a big problem and everything looked as if it was going to work until it didn't after about 20 seconds.Almost every sub unit was changed-fuel pump,spark generator,electrodes,fuel filter,fuel lines- you can see why I got fed up and coughed up for a new burner unit.This went on for a long time,intermittently for 3 or 4 years until I bit the bullet.I was on the verge of taking a plasma cutter to the whole bloody set up.We've kissed and made up now and I am looking forward to a warm re-union on March 1st.OR ELSE!

Sorry no image available
Posted by helicopterrob - 3 years ago

The other thought is to take the plate off the side of the fuel pump itself- do not loose the o ring-  inside which you should find a fine mesh filter - water or moisture  around here will cause similar problems re the going for short while then stopping.

Sorry no image available

Good luck, I did mean the baffles inside the  heater not the burner unit- they get sooted up and thereby effect the flame , You will know if your guy did this as it is very difficult to do it and not  take on the appearance of the chimney sweep aka mary poppins!,  this compunds itself and produces more soot and the whole unit then goes into lockdown.. A good indicator is if when it initially fires up you get lots of fumes or smoke from the  chimney. .

Sorry no image available

Hi helicopterrob. I recently had the burner unit cleaned but wasn't present to witness exactly what the lad did so have no idea how efficient he was. Anyway, it didn't make any difference. As per my response to bennythefence, I am going to change some of the burner pieces myself and see how I get on. 

Sorry no image available

Thanks for the prompt response. I am pleased to hear that you have found a successful solution although, due to the cost, I will not be going down that road until I have exhausted all other possibilities. First change will be the fuel pump and solenoid as they haven't been changed in the past and the user manual advises changing the solenoid every 10 years.

Sorry no image available

I am late to this party but  have had similar issues to this with several boilers, what I find is that when  anything on the burner front starts to go wrong the wrong mix - fuel to air tends to create a lot of soot and this really does clog up the works , This does manifest itself in the boiler working for a little while then shutting down needing reset.. Always worth therefore removing the burner - usually just one nut and then cleaning the soot from the baffles inside the boiler unit itself.. This should of course be done as part of routine maintenenance but you do tend to find older boilers are ignored until they go wrong.

Sorry no image available

Thank you for the response.You won't be pleased to hear this but as in life,there is good news and bad.The boiler was fixed and set up very nicely by a French plumber who works for a company who knows what they're doing.The bad news is it was fixed by replacing the whole burner unit not any of the sub assemblies.€1000 later and it works like a Swiss watch.I know it's a lot of money but I was heartily sick and tired of the tinkering and unreliability generally.Apparently,the Benlox burner is the best on the market but needs to be set up very carefully.The system worked perfectly for quite a few years and then started to play up.Long story short- we now have heating and hot water when we want.Anything I could do to help,just drop me a line.I will be back in residence on the 1st March so I could talk to you then.Alternatively email me in the UK.Regards,Keith.

Sorry no image available

Hi, I have read your old post with much interest because I have suffered from the same problem over the years that you have been experiencing, with the boiler never having worked properly since new and despite all the so called Geminox experts in the area fiddling with it.

I am now about to start changing the components on the burner that appear to be original and that have not been changed by the technicians (in desperation) and see how I get on.

Did you eventually get yours sorted?

Any advice you can give me, that you have gleaned during your years of misery, would be most useful.

Many thanks.

Sorry no image available

After a period of working flawlessly (almost) for almost 8 days,suddenly started playing up again.Fires up OK and just after ignition the banging and clattering start with loads of smoke outside.Any more ideas anyone?I'm sick of using the ballon,the water is just about luke warm.