DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Glass Greenhouse

Posted by brionybob - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by brionybob - 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for your replies. Very helpful.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gogo Yubari - 3 years ago

You used to see them free sometimes in the UK but not for a long time now. The best I could do in 2006 was £47 on an ebay auction. Best buy though because it cam with al the glass, loads of spare anes, aluminuim staging and 2 paraffin heaters. Unfortunately I left it there. If anyone does have a frame they don't want I would love another one.

Sorry no image available
Posted by enthuisiasm - 3 years ago

brianybob

A steel framed/aluminium Greenhouse (;see newspaper adds; Give-aways,) thousands to collect in the UK. Abandoned, free to collector.

We Erected ours in 1985 in England.Collect it from a garden in Bedworth; All the glass was broken, but we replaced the panes.  in 2005 bought it over here when we moved to Brittany. . A God send. Best thing since sliced bread. Replacement glass. look out for old window panes. Buy a glass cutter. Ask your friends in England to post out to you from Wilkinsons. metall clips for securing your windows. long nosed plyers. plastic inserts and ties. If you can't get second hand glass, call into Weldons or Bricomarche. They sell a very hard type of plastic in sheets. We use a small saw, mark out the size needed , job done. Just picked my last amount of food yesterday; Now it is cold, the chikens have taken over. As soon as it warms up, the chickens will be ejected. They are free range, but love the green house because they can nose out  of the window. Enjoy.. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Gogo Yubari - 3 years ago

genie, if you still have an aluminuim frame that you don't want I would happily take it off your hands. Glass or no glass.

Sorry no image available
Posted by RHS35 - 3 years ago

Our green house is about 15+ years old and belonged to father in law. My hubby as professional greenhouse,leanto,conservatory installer put it up for dad originally.When dad died hubby dismantled it and brought it over to france as it had been given to me. Only one piece of glass ever broken and that was due to us.

One time we were in a french garden centre and the men were installing a greenhouse with glass panes.................hubby quietly went over and told them they were putting the clips in the wrong way around...............and yes the panes will blow out. They had no idea they were doing it wrong.

So make sure you put the clips in the right way around.

Sorry no image available
Posted by genie-382498 - 3 years ago

hope you have a ton of dosh to replace the glass every year..... I have spent more on replacement glass over the last 10 years than I have on a brand new polytunnel.  Tried everything, screening, lining the greenhouse etc etc. sould destroying after about year 3....... no planning permission required for either greenhouse or polytunnel

Sorry no image available
Posted by pilot-425170 - 3 years ago

Don't worry you're not going to need planning permission for an average size greenhouse.

Sorry no image available
Posted by chink-401014 - 3 years ago

Planning permission is needed for buildings over 20 square metres.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

Technically yes, anything larger than a couple of square metres needs permission or notification but very few people bother for a modest sized domestic one.  The rules are interpreted differently in different areas so you are wise to seek clarification at your mairie.