DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

good tool shops

Posted by rolex666 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Apparently most of the surgical equipment is now made in the back kitchen of someone living in Karachi, made in Sheffield no longer comes into it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

Agree with Jake, (I hope?), I go for the cheap and cheerful, keep the the ticket, then go back when "it" has given up the ghost, and never had a quibble, re replacement, refund

i.e. WELDOM, BRICO MARCHE, BRICO CASH, BRICO DEPOT I don't think they have a problem with their Far East suppliers!

Suits me too!

EXCEPT!!!

IF IT MIGHT BE FOR SURGICAL EQUIPMENT to be used ON MY PERSONAL PERSON, then I will demand QUALITY.

OK I can be fussy I suppose?

Sometimes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jake-385069 - 3 years ago

No such thing as good tools these days,all chinese stuff with what was a quality name on them.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Huey-407259 - 3 years ago

Duckman, Stanley generally good, but put off by the wooden handles.  Harps back to when I was taught Woodwork (1950's), and the mortice chisels were banded.  Dont see that anymore, and not knowing many hit wood handles with a steel hammer.  Even a wood one will severally damage them!

Sorry no image available
Posted by duckman - 3 years ago

Hi,

I was in bricomarche Carhaix yesterday. They seem to have some good wood chisels, Stanley, nice wood handles, reasonable price, but not sure how they would compare to a Marples chisel though.

regards

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

MOH gets his most important tools via the internet (Leroy Merlin for the rest).  He finds Festool good quality and innovative and they have a French website, although he says the German website is cheaper.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Huey-407259 - 3 years ago

To an extent I agree with GG.  However I am still using Mrples chisels bought in ythe 1950's.  But do have a rough/cheap  set  as well.   Lot to be said for the cheap stuff if its only for a short usage period though.

The Leroy we use is at St. B.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Leroy merlin is also a diy store and do not do much in the way of trade standard tools, there are one or two companies on the internet that deal in trade standard tools and most builders merchants keep a limited range although I found the prices to be a bit on the heavy side, I got to the stage where I just used and abused the cheap stuff chucked it and bought more, a lot of the trade stuff now isn't a great deal better than the diy stuff, I have old 110 volt stuff that I used on site for years and its still going strong whereas newer trade stuff I've bought has long since packed up.

Sorry no image available
Posted by rolex666 - 3 years ago

Thanks for replying, I really appreciate you taking the time.

Roger

Sorry no image available
Posted by rolex666 - 3 years ago

Hi Huey, 

Thanks for the advice. Is the nearest Leroy merlin in St Brieuc ? 

Roger