DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Gravel Drive Nightmare!

Posted by Polly Johns - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ozzy Mandias - 3 years ago

He'd probably be happier if you said username than pseudo.

Sorry no image available
Posted by La Magdelaine - 3 years ago

Fitter ...your AI pseudo is Fitter...non? your handle, your AI name for the OP to look at what you said about using salt.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Excuse me Le Magdelaine, but what's with the pseudo handle?

We've tried the vinegar, vinegar +salt, vinegar + salt+ washing up liquid cure and while it shrivels existing weeds up it doesn't prevent them re-gowing for very long, plus it really stinks.

The only thing that works for any time is granulated salt, rock salt, whatever.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Farthing - 3 years ago

I stabilised my gravel driveway with lime (as for making brickies mortar), more to firm up the gravel rather than as a weed preventative. It's actualy a road contruction technique for strengthen weak soils etc.

I don't get any weeds. Alas it's something you need to do when fist laying the driveway.- and eventhen you must be sure its evenly distibuted. Doing it after the event can be hit and miss and patchy.

I suggest you experiment on a few square meters first. I recall I used 5% lime to gravel mix but try 10% in your trial panel and make sure you mix throroughly. If it's to 'crusty' cut back to 5%

Sorry no image available
Posted by teddyruxspin - 3 years ago

i know people have used weed suppressing sheet and its a waste of time /money, i used 0/30 first run it down for a while with a roller or vehicle then i put down the gravel and now i just get the odd weed pop up ....

Sorry no image available

Salt remedy was given by pseudo "fitter" earlier & white vinegar is only several cents per 1.2 ltrs so I use neat by sprayer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 3 years ago

Can someone give the ration salt:vinegar please - presume it's white vinegar.  How many litres per sq metre is best?

Sounds just what we need too.  I've given up weeding the gravel by hand and this year have just let it all grow.  It's very pretty, with daisies, those pink wild flowers (St Jame's Wort?), and dandelions, but now the grass has started poking through and I can see it's going to get out of hand!

Sorry no image available

Weed supressant membrane a total waste of time & money. My yard was scraped back by some 150 mm minimum, membrane laid, followed by small granite chips followed by gravel & without 2 years especially after a soil pipe blockage that spilled over the weeds were there with a vengance. I have tried the flame thrower..useless, Weed killers from Roundup to gralon to LeClerc's wn brand Gypso...still the grass grows better thru the gravel than in the field. Salt & white vinegar alternately is the cheapest & best of the bunch cures....altho my yard will never look as nice as when newly laid.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Thanks for your input IC but the problem with anti-weed textile on a driveway is that if vehicles are using it the weight of the vehicles will push the gravel through the textile making it ineffective and allowing weeds and grass to grow-and it's expensive.

We have a sort of patio area that was created by the previous occupant of the property with the aforementioned textile covered in gravel and it has not completely stopped weed growth.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Polly Johns - 3 years ago

Thank you! Something to be considered...

Polly :-)