DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

growing lavender

Posted by suky-98776 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by suky-98776 - 4 years ago

Yes you're probably right Janet.  Good growing country this especially after the lovely rain we've had the last few days.  I think things will shoot up when the sun shines again. Looking forward to it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by noblesse-404553 - 4 years ago

I  bought several promo lavenders from SuperU a few years ago and they are all thriving in my slighly acidic, slighly clayey, and not very well draining soil!

I've found that most things grow in Brittany.

janet

Sorry no image available
Posted by suky-98776 - 4 years ago

ok thank you for lots of good advice.  Will go and see what the local nursery has to offer.  Just wondered if it was a waste of time in this climate 56 but think we'll try a pot first.  There are so many beauutiful varieties but for here in Brittany am not so sure.  Still we'll have a go and see what happens.  We lived in the Var many moons ago for 9 months , totally different of course, but oh what a glorious picture it made seeing whole fields of lavender.  Many thanks again for your help.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kev-Maria - 4 years ago

Stones in the bottom of pots do not make any difference. Just a waste of good stones.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 4 years ago

Mine seems fine in acid soil, but as others have said you need a sunny spot and good drainage. It won't like sitting in soggy soil. If you use a pot, stick some stones in the bottom to help.

Sorry no image available
Posted by 001sugarplum - 4 years ago

I put one in last year to try (I'm 300 meters from the sea) It did OK last year, but this year it's looking fab so I might put another in.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 4 years ago

We have good results in raised beds (shady), and in a border on the low end of the lawn (in full sun),  not so much success in pots! Area 56220.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jack1-977774 - 4 years ago

Lavender seeds in Lidl at the moment - 29c a packet. We've had no problem with any of their seeds, trying Lavender for the first time this year.

29c will give you a whole border of Lavender. Follow planting advice as per above.

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 4 years ago

Good info. here. Hidcote is also sold in French nurseries.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=127

Sorry no image available
Posted by ferrandiere - 4 years ago

You will need to either grow it in a raised bed with plenty of drainage, or in a pot. Lavender is a plant which prefers hot, dry conditions and hates having its roots in standing water or very heavy soil. I have grown it successfully here, but chose the sunniest spot in the garden and added planty of grit when planting. You will need to trim once a year, but do not cut into the old wood as it will not regrow. Usually, after about 5 years I take cuttings from the main plant and then just dig it up and start again. The plants I have are an English variety called Hidcote, but there are some French ones available in local nurseries.