DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Growing potatoes, leeks and beetroot

Posted by pony1 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

I wold leave at least 3 chits as if one dies off or something it will hold back sprouting.I live on the Monts D'Arée and the soil is quite thin so I grow all my veg in raised beds adding plenty of organic matter everything does well apart from carrots as I seem to have had the worlds population of carrot fly now living in my garden;

Sorry no image available
Posted by pony1 - 3 years ago

I am a novice vegetable grower so all information is gratefully received.  When my potato has chitted and has several sprouts can I just knock them off and keep one sprout.  Is that the best way.  I don't want more plants as I buy a 3kg bag and that does about 5 rows and that's enough work for me!  I also lay a sheet of newspaper in between rows (water it to stop it flying away!) and cover with grass cuttings which is great for keeping weeds at bay.

Sorry no image available
Posted by DrZed - 3 years ago

I tried 3 different  ways of growing tomatoes this year. In the poly tunnel, in terracota pots outside and directly into the veg patch. All got blight.

With regards to seed potatoes. Once chitted, if the potato has numerousl sprouts you can divide the potato into several pieces, each piece having a sprout. Plant them as you would the whole seed potato. They will grow and produce normally and you get more plants/potatoes for your money !

You may already know this. Not wanting to teach people to suck eggs.

Sorry no image available
Posted by andylekker - 3 years ago

to get fewer but larger potatoes you need to remove some of the 'eyes' from the chitted potatoes before planting (this is probably why your neighbour said that small seed potatoes give you large spuds to harvest - becauase a smaller seed potato will have less eyes.

if you think that you may get 1kg of spuds per plant, then 1kg spread between less potatoes will mean you get bigger ones!

potatoes also need a lot of food and water.

blight is spread by water droplets so outdoor tomatoes are better kept under a tent of polythene to keep the rain off. also keep taters and tomatoes away from each other as the same blight can strike both.

A

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

A good year for my sweetcorn, but I grew a French variety 'maize sucre' or something . They did not fill out as much, or were as sweet as an F1 variety I grew from UK seed last year . I think they were 'Lark F1' and will go back to those next year. Carrots have grown large, but mice? and csrrot fly have damaged some of the crop . Some carrots were larger than supermarket ones , I put tit down to the grass cuttings I rotovated in , yes, it has been mentioned you can just put the cuttings on the soill in Autumn for the worms to work on but my method works for me, the only failure this year was parsnip, I thought I had used a new packet of seed but No... my mistake used up an old, possibly out of date packet. Too late to sow again when nothing came up, put swede in instead for Winter crops 

Sorry no image available
Posted by kathyd2 - 3 years ago

Anonymous - with sweetcorn, I always pre-chit. Place on soggy kitchen towel on a saucer or plate and keep damp. Change the water every couple of days to stop it going manky. When the little root starts to show, put in a pot until big enough to plant out. I've been growing Incredible F1 for the past couple of years and it seems to mature early and give a good crop. I don't do anything special with the soil before I plant. It's one of the things it's worth struggling to get right because it tastes soooo much better fresh from the garden ;).

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

Iguana Rock-

Carrots?  Last year our carrots looked like they were doing fine and when we pulled them they only had about an inch of proper carrot below the green bit and the rest of it was like a corkscrew.  Thought maybe the ground would be too hard but how is that possible after a thorough rotavating with a metre wide tiller behind a tractor?  This year bought some big reuseable growbags and filled them with expensive compost from Gamm Vert.  Massive lush tops but the exact same result.  Orange corkscrews!

Rudge-

Tomatoes?  Year on year ours suffer from blight.  This year we split the planting.  Half stayed in the tunnel and half were planted outside as soon as it was safe.  Blight on both lots.  Total yield barely enough for a spag bog!

Sweet corn is steadily going downhill.  This year spent €60 on horse poo from GV to improve matters.  a third of the plants didn't come up and the rest only grew to about half their expected height with very few giving proper mature cobs.  Beginning to think I'll stick with supermarket produce laced with glyphosate next year.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rudge - 3 years ago

Tomatoes outside can be  problematic sometimes  , I had a good crop initially last year then blight struck them , grew 'Ferline' in a small polytunnel .this year  Great crop for a couple of months, now finishing and looking like the blight might have eventuaally affected them in the last few days .No complaints, have frozen a lot of pulp for the Winter and will grow 'Ferline' again next year as one of the more blight resitant varieties 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

Interesting re. the leeks.  We just can't seem to grow them and this is odd as we live on the coast and are surrounded with fields of them! One farmer neighbour gave us some of his own plants but still they were rubbish. I think we've decided that given the small amount we eat we'll just not bother with them anymore. This year has been good for carrots, broad beans, peas, courgettes and onions but not so good for the potatoes. We tried outdoor tomatoes  for the first time but it was not a success (thankfully we are given some by our lovely neighbour). Hubby has bought a little 'serre' for next year so will attempt tomatoes again in that.

We've just pickled 12 jars of onions so looking forward to tasting those in 2 months time!

"Bon jardinage"!

Sorry no image available
Posted by mavis cruet-909959 - 3 years ago

I grow charlotte potatoes and had a bumper crop this year possibly because instead oof planting them in individual holes we dug a trench and lined it with well rotted horse manure before popping the spuds in. 

I've had problems getting leeks to fatten up in the past too but this year have been feeding them with homemade nettle feed and they have thickened up much better. Stinky stuff but worth it for leafy crops.

Funny, but we've had a great tomato year, been absolutely inundated although blight has got the outdoor ones now but the polytunnel ones and and the ones in pots against the south facing wall of our house are still going