DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Gyproc coving

Posted by kingly - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by kingly - 3 years ago

Where can you buy Orac coving please ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by noblesse-404553 - 3 years ago

If you use the Orac coving, it is easily transportable and available in France!

Have a look at the Housemartin website and you will be convinced. Paper-covered plaster is heavy and sensitive to moisture, the paper damages easily, it's difficult to transport, and not particularly inexpensive.

The Orac coving is not the cheap foam-type coving.It's tough, light and comes in a myriad of shapes. It's also easier to install on less-than- perfectly-flat walls, which I had throughout my house. It's preprimed, so you just have to apply your finish of choice and can be applied with any non-solvent Gripfill type product (I bought mine in bulk from Screwfix).

I agree with the Knauf man:-))

janet

Sorry no image available
Posted by kingly - 3 years ago

Thanks for replies / suggestions - know can buy in UK - it was getting it here that worried me !

Sorry no image available
Posted by georgeV-988991 - 3 years ago

Plaster coving is not available in France.  Some years ago I spoke to the Brittany representative of Knauf that manufactures it in Holland from where it is imported into the UK and sold by Wickes.  He looked at it and at me with incredulity and said he couldn't understand why anyone would want it when polystyrene coving is available.  After realising it was manufactured by the company he worked for he rang head office in Holland but because he couldn’t speak English I spoke for him.  The technical person I spoke to confirmed that it is not a product which his company exported to France.    

I brought several packs of this from the UK to France on the roof rack of a land rover.  I think they are 3 mtrs in length.  It is usually packed in packs of 5 lengths and covered with polythene.  Even so try to choose a dry day for travelling.  Best to pick it up just before getting on the ferry.

B&Q sell a similar product which might be available at B&Q Jersey.

Fitting it is easy with the coving glue Wickes also sell and it really makes an incredible difference to a room and hides those corner cracks. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by noblesse-404553 - 3 years ago

Kingly,

I've bought coving from this company in the UK for my house here.

They will ship to France because they sell Orac coving, which is made in Belgium, so it can be shipped directly to France from there.

Otherwise, if you have someone they can deliver to in the UK, you could collect it there and bring it over yourself. Orac coving is not heavy, and will also not be damaged by water!

Ring the number at the top of the page and a very nice man named Michael will answer and you can explain the situation to him (you can tell him Janet in Brittany referred you!).

Also, googling 'acheter orac moulures france' brought up several firms that sell this coving online in France.

I prefer the Orac to the Gyproc because it's much lighter and so easier to put up (and also less likely to be damaged in transport). Once it's up it's impossible to tell the difference from plaster coving.

janet

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

I doubt you will find a source easily here.  Coving is not fashionable in France.  Your best bet is to find someone with a lwb van and bring it over from UK.