DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Heat Pump

Posted by AQ-417490 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by helicopterrob - 3 years ago

Hi,

I have a friend who needs a heat pump installing. I can mount the external and internal units and drill the wall, do you know of anyone who could supply and fit the pipework and gas the system?

Regards,

Peter.

I am presuming this is aimed at me,, Unfortunately I am not offering a service in France yet but will be next year  as I have not long completed  on my French house and whilst I continue to work from my English base ,  French soil time at the moment is needed to knock the house into some sort of order and make it secure before  Messrs Brittany ferries  wind down their  crossing schedule.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Peter222-413383 - 3 years ago

Hi,

I have a friend who needs a heat pump installing. I can mount the external and internal units and drill the wall, do you know of anyone who could supply and fit the pipework and gas the system?

Regards,

Peter.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Thanks helicopterrob - some important points to take on board. Our house is a new build (RT 2012) and is therefore well insulated. Our main heating is a wood burner, which heats the whole house efficiently (fairly open plan), but whilst we have electric convectors, which are a standard fitting, we only need to use these between seasons. However, as in the UK, full price electricity is expensive, which is why I am thinking about the heat pump route for the main living area (probably for autumn and spring evenings only). Whether it is worth pursuing this approach is something to consider.

Sorry no image available

You have three sources of noise, the external  unit with the compressor and fan, the internal unit with fan and the pipe work itself . If the unit is installed correctly and sized to the room then the external unit will be running less  often and make less noise. The internal unit will also be running  and the noise will be  minimal - effectively a small fan running which you soon  fail to notice. The pipework will make no noise.   Get it wrong however either because of a small leak on the flared joins or air/moisture in the system because it was not evacuated properly and the  whole system becomes less efficient,, the outdoor unit will run more often=more noise as will the indoor and the noise of air bubble  in the pipe work can be quite significant. Your energy saving also goes out of the window.

If you are set on going down the Diy route and are happy that the unit  is big enough for the room then  why not install the unit yourself- that is the boring, expensive and time consuming bit,  then get a  professional to leak check, evacuate the system and  open the valves ? I would charge about £80 for that here in the uk , less than  100 euro ?  but then I do not know what french refrigeration engineers charge ? ( would be interested to know if anyone has had any quotes for work  though )

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Thank you all for your responses. Quite clearly, there are varying opinions on the ability to do a diy installation, which is what I was hoping to do and, hence, my interest in the precharged units sold in Brico Depot. Although I could call in an expert to provide and install a unit, I can imagine the total cost would be very expensive, which is why I am keen to hear from people with normal diy skills who have installed units themselves and any problems they had. So, I am still not sure and also need to hear about the noise levels when in use. 

Sorry no image available

I am a refrigeration and air conditioning engineer and I install  Aircon.  Unfortunately whilst I have a property in France I work in the Uk and have not bothered to  sort the paperwork to work in France yet as a french company so I am not fishing for business just offering my  advice.  You will get a good  Coe as long as the unit is properly installed,, I would doubt very much however if you  go down the  diy install route that you will achieve anything like what you quote as you simply will not  have the equipment to get the unit balanced and working correctly.. The critical thing is  to balance the unit to the load . Because  these units these days come pre-charged with gas the smaller units  do tend to be sold as DIY installations, the problem  here is that it is good practice and as it happens  a legal requirement  to pressure test your pipe installation for leaks  - we use nitrogen for this.- In the Uk it is illegal to do any work with refrigerant gasses without an F-gas certificate. Ignoring the legalities  That aside  simple things like the flared connections on these units are also  best removed and the pipes brazed.  I would as a matter of course  always  remove all the gas in the  main unit and refill to the correct weight - you have no way of knowing if the  pre-charge is correct or any has leaked  before commissioning.- you can also add gas and oil for longer pipe runs.  It is also  a fact of life and something that the diy kits forget to tell you  that  it is critical for long life that  the system needs to be dried out by  by vacuuming before  opening the valves , If you do not then residual moisture in the system will at some stage - best scenario freeze and block the  system or at worst form acids that  ruin the pipework from the inside out. You are welcome to message me if there are any other questions I can help with.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lapin-436112 - 3 years ago

we have 5 of time (4 gites and also in our own house). very pleased with it, I wouldnt want to know my electricity bill without them! its also airconditioning so very handy when it gets hot :)

easy to install yousselfs, couple of hours work thats it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by GoneandDunit - 3 years ago

We have a dual unit, had three months of hell with BD before finally getting the system fault free and working, have to say though that since then we have been verry pleased with it.

Relatively easy to install.

Be verry sure you check all packaging before you leave the store, any signs that it has been opened then refuse it.

I have a blog outlining my problems which I can email if you want it.

Sorry no image available
Posted by yorkinmadoc-799333 - 3 years ago

Hi had a heatpump for five years, very content, use th Anglo info email if you want info. I installed the unit after huge amount of research. Due to past experience of the so called experts on here not prepared to give info on forum!