DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Heavy rain stops me receiving Free-sat channels

Posted by bretonlion - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by bretonlion - 3 years ago

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies .. I will check all the points raised ..

Rgds

Chris

Sorry no image available
Posted by andybriggs2000-382491 - 3 years ago

I was having a similar problem using a sky minidish and checked it hadn't moved out of line in the wind and could never get a decent signal in heavy rain - I changed to an 80cm dish with a quad LNB that I bought on Ebay that cost just 35 euro including delivery from Ireland and the signal quality and strength is now much higher an have only had he odd problem when it snows. Once mounted on the wall it took just a couple of minutes to line up - much easier than the smaller dish.

Sorry no image available
Posted by treivilo-424011 - 3 years ago

Hi Barty, I had read so, and it made sense. Sorry for my mistake. Olivier

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

and yes as treivilo says the skew angle is a vital part of the dish alignment. Tho' it has nothing whatever to do with energy ridden raindrops.

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

Water is a real problem for the very high frequencies used by satellite TV if the dish isn't spot on then you'll get problems in heavy rain, the water doesn't need to be settled on leaves, it just needs to be in the way.

Sorry no image available
Posted by treivilo-424011 - 3 years ago

Hello,

Unless it is not physically intact, most often the polariation of the lnb may be the cause of such rain issue. Rain drops, while falling, will become energy loaded, and this energy will, in some case, have a bad impact on radio waves.

Try turning, slowly, the lnb around its axis to solve that 

Olivier 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Heavitree-431035 - 3 years ago

Happened to us recently .

Turned out that the dish was not fixed securely enough to the supporting bracket , and just moves a little under the rain and wind .

If it is not 100% spot on  to the satellite , only a small amount of disturbance will cause signal loss

Sorry no image available
Posted by countrydweller - 3 years ago

I cannot tell you the reason why for your situation but Barty B came and installed a new Freesat box to replace my old Sky box and found that the LNB I had was cracked and held together with duck tape.He changed it and now I have no heavy rain misery so perhaps that is your problem