DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Help re. Mosquitoes at night!

Posted by Iguana Rock - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Bosko-444416 - 3 years ago

We're OK with regard to flies. We don't seem to get many here. We are right on the coast so I think perhaps the sea breezes keeps them away.

Sorry no image available
Posted by jillydou13 - 3 years ago

We have had problems with flies in the kitchen and only yesterday managed to buy a four panelled mosquito net with weights to the bottom. These are fantastic and bought at Mr bricolage in cancale at 16 euros each.  You can either stick them to the frames of your windows or doors or alternatively you can drill the top panel into a frame and once finished for the summer can just clip off and put away.  We hunted high and low for decent fly screens but didn't want the stick on type as it is very difficult getting the glue / sticky off the area where you have stuck it to. Good luck

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

Right Mozzies, I'm now ready for you!!

Got my RAID, 3 x 45 nights for €8.38, in Super U St Pol de Leon. 

Thanks again everyone. Glad I asked for your help.

Sorry no image available

Thanks allie-d. I am off to Super U (St Pol de Leon) for opening time!

Sorry no image available
Posted by allie-d - 3 years ago

You can find the Raid plugins at the Super U in Loudeac. As someone who gets bit by everything, I highly recommend them and am able to leave the window open at night without a problem.

Allie-d

Sorry no image available

Thanks BlindOrange but I wouldn't want the spiders either!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by BlindOrange - 3 years ago

I vote for the mosquito net, five years and I have never had a problem. You can also drape pieces of fabric, reds, yellows and oranges, are best, apparently they hate bright colours. The advantage is no smells, no chemicals, and as I have a resident population of hard working spiders, no accidental deaths either.

Sorry no image available

Thanks Kerguen. I am going to try the RAID plug-in. All I've got to do now is find out who sells it! I was pleased to read that it is 'sans perfume'.

If that doesn't work I'm going to try an orange on a stick! Thanks Kernana.

Thanks to others who have replied too.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kate.fitch@orange.fr - 3 years ago

mosquitos can't fly if the air is moving so I find an oscillating fan is good. Do not direct it directly on the bed as the fan will dry you out as you sleep. As the noise of the fan is constant you will soon get used to the sound and at least there will not be any nasty chemicals circulating in the room. If you get bitten then wet a piece of soap and rub it on the area to make a thin paste,leave it on, go back to bed and in about 5 to 10 minutes it will stop itching.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Go to a Brico and buy fly screen netting-it's a fine aluminium mesh that keeps flies mozzys etc out.

It's not cheap, about €9 per metre for a metre wide off the roll the last time I bought some.

Make up some light wooden frames that you can place in the open window frame with mesh stretched tightly across it-it does allow you to see out through the mesh because it's very fine.

And no- I don't know what it's called in French!

As I recall I bought it from Bricomarche Pontivy.