DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Home Networks and computers

Posted by vivaofsnape - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by RedRockParis - 3 years ago

I was drafting a longer reply but @less nailed it!

Either too lazy to read the documentation that came with their new 'purchase' or genuinely unable to understand it. If that is the case then be prepared to pay someone to do it for you, just as you would with a service on your car or central heating boiler.

Sure, a simple guide in English, padding out the manufacturers instructions with 'idiot proof' diagrams would work for some (in the 10's I suspect, not thousands) but these people would baulk at paying a fair price for your work and simply ask the same questions on AI or ask if anyone had a free copy of your book they could borrow.

Sorry no image available
Posted by less - 3 years ago

Quite often, along with most other forums people pose questions because they are simply far too lazy to do all the necessary research on their own - trail / error / manufacturers literature & google will solve most problems. In some cases may take sometime to get through the jargon but it's all out there & available.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

"If Google is the answer why do so many people post their questions on here?"

Sheer laziness.  Like people who ask countless questions about shops and services in their area when a glance through the Pages Jaunes would reveal all.

There are literally hundreds of "techy" forums where people with little knowledge ask seemingly dumb questions but get answers in plain simple English.

Sorry no image available
Posted by vivaofsnape - 3 years ago

If Google is the answer why do so many people post their questions on here? My belief that the sort of  information found by a web search reveals just a bunch more techies giving jargon filled and difficult to understand solutions

Sorry no image available
Posted by twoeyes - 3 years ago

Sorry to disagree with everybody else so far, but I don't think that Google is necessarily the answer. Many people do not get sensible answer from Google (or any other search engine), sometimes because they don't manage to choose the right words to search for, sometimes because they don't (or can't) spot what they want amongst all the results they get, but mostly because there is no answer that matches their exact situation and combination of equipment.

Then yes, there are some who won't understand what others would know was the right answer.

This is why the people who charge money for network setup etc. (I am NOT one of them) have a real business model - they can look at the actual situation and also (we hope) pitch their explanations to match the customer's knowledge. 

The problem with a booklet will be deciding what to explain and getting the explanations at the right level. Still, if someone wants to try...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Anonymous - 3 years ago

"The truth is out there"  Google is your friend.

Sorry no image available
Posted by RedRockParis - 3 years ago
Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

The thing is that the booklet is now google! Many of the issues even in the corporate world relate to the interoperability of the systems. The issues you raise are valid but much of the equipment is now capable of seamless connection while others are not.

I suspect there would be little apetite for such a publication that is so dependent on the specifics of the hardward.

Bon chance