DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Hoopoe

Posted by Tryval - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

hussar, Thats when we normally see and hear them too.

Sorry no image available
Posted by hussar - 3 years ago

We had two in our garden for approx 2 hours but that was in apr or may, we have only waited 8 years to see them. Great.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

We seem to be v lucky, we have one every year, odd it was silent this time, it,s usually around for a while "hooping away", maybe it's done what a Hoopoe does by now?

Sorry no image available
Posted by nelly15 - 3 years ago

Heard a bird I didn't recognise and could see close to, but having just listened to bird song on the net, it was that. About two weeks ago and just for a short time. Haven't heard it since. Broons area. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by bella-382361 - 3 years ago

Saw one 2 years ago near Carhx flying over the fields. I recognised it because of the way it makes the hoops when it flies. When we lived in the south west we would see lots of them nearly every day. I think may be it is too cold for them here.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

I have only ever seen one once - in the UK when on a boating holiday on the norfolk broads near Wayford Bridge-unmistakeable bird.

I always remember the entry in the bird spotting book for the hoopoe  -"unhygenic nester"!

Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 3 years ago

The odd one is spotted in Côte D'Amor, but we have never seen one.  I tried for years to spot one in Morbihan, Vendee etc. but with no success, they are very shy birds. Then we went to Italy and visited Pompeii,  as we walked into the site where the ruins are there was one on a lawn, bold as brass, walking around! Couldn't believe my luck!