DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

How can prevent marketing phone calls

Posted by Farthing - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by vivaofsnape - 3 years ago

When we took out a new contract a year ago we went ex directory and have not had a junk call yet. I also never give out my mobile or phone number unless I am assured it is not going to be shared or used for marketing purposes

Sorry no image available
Posted by Watty-794352 - 3 years ago

Hi Janet,

The names as well as numbers are always displayed.  This has been the case (in my own experience) for the last ten years.

As you point out, this is not just a feature of the telephone itself but a combination of a suitable telephone handset AND the service provided by Orange.  However, now everyone with an Orange telephone contract is provided with this service, but it will only be of use to them if they purchase a handset which has the display facilitiy.  In my case, a very cheap (non-cordless) supermarket one. 

I also think it is advisable for anyone to think twice about going onto the Liste Rouge, especially if they live alone.  (See my first post.)

Sorry no image available
Posted by noblesse-404553 - 3 years ago

Watty,

Your first post implied that your old phone showed the names for the numbers. 

But, as you have just said, this is not something the phone does, but a feature included in your Orange contract.

If you did not have this feature, your phone would not, on it's own, show the names. And if you did not have a fixed line, the names would not be shown unless they're programmed into the phone or you have subscribed to a service such as Orange's Stop Secret. 

janet

Sorry no image available
Posted by one4all-436374 - 3 years ago

Can thoroughly recomend the Pacitel service, just subscribe on-line

Sorry no image available

P.S.

The service for which I used to pay (but is now included in the Orange monthly standing charge) was called 'Présentation du Nom et Signal d'Appel'.

Sorry no image available

Noblesse,

I'm afraid you are mistaken.

It does show up ALL names and numbers which are listed in the Pages Blanches/Jaunes, as well as all numbers from abroad (without the names, of course).

I used to pay a couple of euros each month for this faciliity to Orange, but it is now included automatically in everybody's normal landline contract.

I have nothing programmed into my personal phone directory   ...   don't even know whether I have one or how to do this!  

Sorry no image available
Posted by noblesse-404553 - 3 years ago

"I also have a cheap, old telephone handset (Leclerc) which displays all incoming numbers and names (except those which are withheld, of course)   ...   nothing to do with my programming them in.  "

It won't display the names associated with the numbers unless the names are in the telephone directory in your phone! Why else would there be (paid) services where you can look up who is calling you from a certain number? You can sign up to Orange's Stop Secret programme for €1 month, which WILL show you who's calling, but without that, the names showing depends on the phone book.

This page

http://telephonie.comprendrechoisir.com/fiche/voir/285484/se-mettre-sur-liste-rouge

tells how to sign up for both Liste Rouge and Pacitel. 

janet

Sorry no image available

Ten years ago I looked into going onto the Liste Rouge but decided against it, as it can cause problems if the emergency services need to find you.  I, therefore, settled for the Liste Orange (the numbers with an asterisk in the directory).  This certainly did cut down on marketing calls.  I also signed on with Pacitel.

However, I still receive the odd call now and again, so have just registered with Orange's free 'Anti Prospection' service to see if that makes a difference.

I also have a cheap, old telephone handset (Leclerc) which displays all incoming numbers and names (except those which are withheld, of course)   ...   nothing to do with my programming them in.  (It even displays foreign numbers).  From that I can see who is calling/has called and act accordingly.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by Janouk - 3 years ago

Our line is via Orange Livebox - we have a "working" Liste Rouge - the only sales calls we usually get are occasionally from Orange trying to sell us a mobile phone - the couple of others that we have received over the last 5 years, once asked where they obtained the number as it's a Liste Rouge number, apologised and hung up.

Sorry no image available
Posted by GoneandDunit - 3 years ago

Thanks Karen.