DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

How do I get rid of all these flies.

Posted by Annabelle's Papa - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Annabelle's Papa - 3 years ago

Init , is the spray a whitish liquid that you spray around doors and windows, we have bought it from GIFI  (about 7 euro) and it does kind of work but we obviously had an infestation, 2 days on and have only had 4-5 flies a day in the kitchen.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Init - 3 years ago

Intermarché sell a fly repellant for about €12 that lasts about 4/6 months. have sprayed round all my doors and windows, used about a third of the can and it works.               Init

Sorry no image available
Posted by mavis cruet-909959 - 3 years ago

OH moaning about flies yesterday was becoming more annoying than the flies themselves so have ordered a couple of those Red Top things, fingers crossed....

Sorry no image available
Posted by Annabelle's Papa - 3 years ago

Update on fly problem.

We used the fly swat all day Friday and got rid of a least 60 flies, I Googled fly problems and natural remedies and followed a few.

1- Cider vinegar in a saucer with a bit of liquid soap so flies cannot escape, result not one fly caught.

2-spayed lavender oil around the kitchen

3-Hung clear bag of water with ripped up shreds of tin foil from parasol above outside dining table, result hardly any flies, whereas the night before we had to decamp to the kitchen, apparently the refraction of light disorientates them.

Conclusion, I think at some stage in the recent past a fly got in, laid eggs and they all pupated at the same time, hence a crazy day of flies, also humid and wet outside might of drove them in looking for shelter.

Will continue with the lavender spray, as it smells nice and could work, forget the cider vinegar and nothing to loose with the bag of water.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

I am a bit puzzled why many others seem to be having a big  fly problem - honestly we haven't had a fly problem last year or this year-and we have a dairy farm behind us about 100 metres away and cows in fields all around. We haven't had to use fly papers either. Nor have we had a mozzie problem either for the last couple of years-I wonder if the two are connected in some way?

Sorry no image available
Posted by candid - 3 years ago

Google  cluster flies -lots of info.

Sorry no image available
Posted by HarleyRider58 - 3 years ago

On average, what are people paying for the Red Tops???

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dave Evans-439024 - 3 years ago

No they don't sunshinedays. They have a Red Top (hence the name!) that sits above the main body leaving a gap large enough for a fly but too small for bees.

www.redtopflytrap.co.uk shows a picture of one.

Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by sunshinedays - 3 years ago

Hi, do these red top fly catchers attract other insects. I wouldn't want to use them if bees got caught

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mervyn Weston - 3 years ago

Hi all,

This year the fly problem has been nil, could be down to the fact the local farmer has retired this year so no more cows walking down the lane !! Last year the fly swat was in constant action. Plus I had the hanging fly paper which was full after a few days.

Last year I had an infestation of what looked like flying ants but much smaller, the same thing has happened this year at the same time. Don't know where they came from. Last year I sprayed them with fly killer but had to wash the car to get rid of them, this year I left them and they disapared, my friendly robins were very busy but I don't think they could eat that amount. Hope I can attach a photo so you can see.

Regards Mervyn. Sorry I've tried to add the photo but no luck.