DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

How to start a business in Brittany

Posted by Blair Allison - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by chemin vert - 4 years ago

Turnover might be a more accurate word than earn.

Sorry no image available
Posted by toffeeman-425225 - 4 years ago

Register as an auto entrepreneur, the simplist form of company, where you can earn just over €30k pa for services only and up to around 80k pa if you are trading and all declarations are done online monthly or quarterly. You will have to register at the Chamber of Commerce covering your area. You will fisrt need have to get your Social security number as self employed and regsiter with a regime covering your industry.

Be aware the downside of this is you cannot offset expenses for vehicle, fuel, tools etc against your taxes.

Hope this is helpful?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lumbersexual-992851 - 4 years ago

Yes you can cut grass as an A.E if it is not your main occupation (ie) a handyman who fixes shelves, paints walls and cuts grass.

If you wish to trade as a gardener, that is to say that your main occupation is garden work (entretien espaces verts) then you need to register through the Chambre de Commerce as a Micro BIC.

The CdeC will then pass your details onto the MSA to who you will pay your cotisations.

Jack

Sorry no image available
Posted by agente securite - 4 years ago

AIKB gouaurec will help you Gouarec, chambte de metiers also, under pole emploi you have to have a qualification that corresponds with code rome, they make it very difficult for the etrangers , but under ae you can cut grass

Sorry no image available
Posted by floradora - 4 years ago

I of course am assuming you are starting up small and costs of employing someone are ridiculous. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by floradora - 4 years ago

You could start under the cheque emploi system which includes your cotisations so no paperwork  i and build it up from there.  Small jobs of course but then you get recommended. Most work here  is word of mouth. See lots of flyers starting off like this and ads in supermarkets.  

Sorry no image available

Foxie.

True gardening services ( Entretien Espaces Verts) and Landscaping ( Paysagistes) are restricted to the Micro BIC and larger turnover regimes paying cotisations to the MSA.

Under the A.E regime you are not allowed to make the above your main occupation.

Jack

Sorry no image available
Posted by teddyruxspin - 4 years ago

So whos correct Pushkin or Foxie in relation to registering ?...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Foxie-986308 - 4 years ago

"It is a grave error to bank your clients cheque and then blindy assume this to be your salary without first putting aside your cotisations (at least 25% of every euro for a micro BIC) and business costs (far more than you might imagine) into separate accounts."

Now that you must by law have a separate bank account for business income, it might actually help. I thought it was a totally stupid idea at first but in fact I'm finding that it helps me stay on top of the finances.

Sorry no image available

Hello,

I assumed that the O.P would be looking for work within the English speaking community because 99% of others do the same.

In fact, if the O.P can grapple the language sufficiently to seek out French clients then that is a real advantage as I found out myself in 2003.

One of the things that sinks small businesses is not allowing for costs, hidden costs like using your own time and car/van and not considering mileage.

Depreciation and real time running costs of equipment.

Small things like phone, work wear, breakages, insurance  and a very dirty word PROFIT!

Profit which advances your business and allows you to buy the tools which make life easier and less stressfull by being reliable and capable rather than Brico-Merde throw away machines.

One of the biggest killers of micro-entreprises here comes in the form of mismanaging finances.

It is a grave error to bank your clients cheque and then blindy assume this to be your salary without first putting aside your cotisations (at least 25% of every euro for a micro BIC) and business costs (far more than you might imagine) into separate accounts.

Jack