DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

If buying a house would a composting toilet system put you off ?

Posted by demonhighwayman - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sabc15-427548 - 3 years ago

Composting toilet? = divorce in my case.

Sorry no image available
Posted by demonhighwayman - 3 years ago

Bagpiper, I didn't realise you were going for a Villa, they do look great compared to the weekend toilet. At first I was looking at the 9010 which is 230v or 12v so I could run it from a solar panel but I plan eventualy to have a decent solar system installed in the house anyway.

Plouyepaul, Thanks for the encouragement and yes please to your offer of the document. Anything which may help my case with the authorities.

Geegee42, A seperating compost toilet actually produces cleaner results than a modern septic system, if 60million people were using them the enviromental and financial costs to the country would be greatly reduced. Yes I need to save money but if I can help the enviroment at the same time then so be it. I'll still fit a foss for future proofing and treating grey water, but I can't dismiss all the positives about the composting systems now I know how well they work.

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Baa baa brigade?, the idea of proper disposal of human waste is to reduce the possibility of disease, just imagine sixty million composting toilets, the OPs idea of a composting toilet is to save on the cost of installing a fosse, not to go on some green save the planet trip,and the question he asked was would it affect the saleability of the property and the answer is yes.

Sorry no image available
Posted by plouyepaul - 3 years ago

BRAVO demonhighwayman for even considering a composting or dry toilet. No doubt your curiosity was kindled at some point and you very quickly came to the conclusion that it was a no brainer. Most of the Baa Baa brigade out there, many who reesponded negatively to your question without so much as doing a Google search and reading the basics, are lost and aren't worth your time and effort. But I would agree with one or to who suggested you asked the wrong question, the question is Why not?

People will discuss things they eat but the question of where it ends up is taboo. Ecology for most starts and ends with rubbish recycling, some can't even be bothered to do that. Look after theEarth and it will look after you!

Don't give up, I agree with Bagpiper. Please repost with developments. I have a document I can email you regarding similar projects in a department further south. Ther is also newish legislation that supports composting toilets and reed bed greywater filters. SPANC are  unlikely to recomend your project so maybe pushing form the Maire would always help.

Hope this is helpful, Paul

Sorry no image available
Posted by bagpiper-435469 - 3 years ago

We are going for this one    http://www.maison-ecolo.com/toilette-seche-vmc-villa-9011c-separett.html

in 12 volt form. The heating element idea is an over complication as is the type which has a handle to rotate the solids after each use, the AirHead being one example.

The Villa struck my wife and me as being  a well made, modern version of a bucket with a bag in it which is situated in a sealed compartment from which air is drawn. (K.I.S.S) 

The cheaper version, the Weekend, is not made of the same material  and appears less rigid.

There is a UK site http://www.littlehouse.co/shop/separett-villa-9000-compost-toilet/ 

with a link to a Youtube video which you might find useful. He is very happy to discuss the details of their operation with you.

One of the comments made on this Forum was the reaction of visitors. Other than not having to flush, and perhaps a little realigning oneself on the seat (please read the operating manual) the actions neccessary to use the Villa are the same as using a conventional facility. The contents are invisible as there is a trap which is closed until one sits (men must also sit down thus making the toilet compartment that much more hygienic-ask your wife) and no odour as the computer-sized fan is drawing out the air. You still wash your hands afterwards, as usual, so why would visitors have a problem? 

Sorry no image available

So what system are you getting bagpiper ? I've read all about the villa and an incinerator toilet (which sounds to heavy on the electric) but have not looked at many others.

Sorry no image available

Fortunately the number of 'ageing hippies' is growing and throughout Europe one finds more and composting toilets installed. The days of using drinking water to flush waste are passing, albeit slowly. It's too easy to flush and forget but I suspect rising household water/sewage charges will be the trigger for more people to be conscious of where it goes and consider the natural alternatives. Unlike solar energy, composting toilets do not benefit from government grants but then again, they are not expensive if you compare them with having to install a fosse septique. To put it into context, around 600 pounds, delivered . Biolet is popular in France but is not a dry toilet. They are all very simple to install, the Villa, (the model that we discussed) can use a solar powered fan or, if the vent pipe is high enough, just the updraught to create a slight depression to remove the odours. I have lived with conventional loos all my life, from the outside privvy to modern electric macerators, press button flush, but one pays for it all. In cash, in maintenance and in environmental damage. These are simple, efficient and (can) have zero running costs. I would add that I too am pragmatically storing the 1200 euro electric toilet  in the engine room (barge, remember) just in case a future buyer may have a different perspective from my own.

Just as a by the way, the equipment (Villa) that we are discussing is actually a UDDT (urine-diverting dry toilet) There are composting toilets and composting toilets....

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

I doubt it, most people want to flush and watch it disappear, I'm afraid going green to most of the population is for aging hippies, heavily into the band and the greatfull dead.

Sorry no image available

Thanks bagpiper, its nice somebody eventualy had something positive to say about them ! I've read up on them quiet a bit and they sound great which is why I will still be getting one. However i'll also be putting in a foss just in case I need to resell the property in the future, hopefully in the future they are more commonplace and people are more accepting of alternative systems.

Sorry no image available

Certainly the modern Swedish dry composting toilets have much to recommend them. No water, minimal or no electricity, depending on your particular application and no odour. Yes, you have to empty the partially composted solids but by the time you do it is just a bag  of waste material. You'd need to be particularly squeamish to be put off by taking out a bag and putting it on the compost heap. The Viila that you refer to comes with several containers so you don't even have to remove the bag, just exchage the container for a fresh one and put the full one in the shed, or even outside to finish composting. The advantages of composting toilets are environmental soundness, reduced cost and independence. No. I don't sell them, I am installing a composting system in our barge, replacing an electric, fresh water system which requires a large storage tank and regular emptying at designated pump-out stations which costs every time. Don't be misled by the sometimes foul smells coming from rural public composting toilets-they tend to be unseparated units where the urine and faeces are mixed together producing the unpleasant smells. There are many Youtube videos on the subject.