DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Infrequent mobile WIFI , best pay-as-you-go

Posted by JLJ-429896 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Posted by bartyb - 3 years ago

I'm pretty sure that Three have dropped the 30day rule, certainly I took an unlocked dongle to italy with a brand new sim and there was no problem.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JLJ-429896 - 3 years ago

I think I see what you are getting at Evenevenmore- , but with the 30 days rule you do have to plan in advance or have a draw full of them, I guess? 

It seems to me that for occasional out and about WIFI, I might as well buy an Orange Domino €54 then buy their sim card and get 6 months top up which is €35 giving you 3 Go over the 6 months. I'm unlikely to use more than that, but if I do it's just a question of another top up. €70 a year for 500 Mo a month is, from what I can see, about as good as it gets ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by evenevenmoreantibs - 3 years ago

JLJ, The unit can be used in France at the same rate as the UK (that's what I do.) Three don't have 'roaming' charges in most European countries now. 

Reveuse, just buy another Three SIM every couple of months or so, they're only £10 including a £10 top-up.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

Yes I use Three for mobile date in the UK, but not in France because 63 days wouldn't be enough and apparently they block your sim if you go over.

Sorry no image available

Sounds good value, but I live in France and UK use would be only occasional.

Sorry no image available
Posted by evenevenmoreantibs - 3 years ago

I use one of these http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/E5330_Mobile_Wi-Fi?memory=0&colour=White and top-up £10 for 1gb data that lasts a month much cheaper than the 5€ a day the French telcos want.

Can also be used in Spain and most other countries.

There are conditions, you must have bought the SIM 30 days before you can use it outside the UK and the SIM can only be used for 63 seperate days outside the UK

Sorry no image available

Thanks for the replies. Amazingly the Dominoes are supplied unlocked by Orange, according to their website. I've also had a look at Leclerc and it looks as if you can get a cheap monthy charge from them, but it's expensive when you want to use the internet: unless you opt for the 10 euros a month (no contract, but you are cut off on the 28th of the month if there's not enough in the kitty to meet the monthly fee) for that you get 1000Mo which is lots for me, but with Orange you get 2 Go for your 10 euros (sans abonnement) and their mystery hotspots. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

If a smartphone won't do what you need, why not just get an Orange Domino (it does have a battery) and top it up as you need? If one day you need wifi you can top your Domino up by phone and the credit goes on immediately, only 5€ if you only need it for a day (cheaper than buying a big mac that you don't really want).

I imagine if you buy an Orange Domino it's locked to orange, however you can by unlocked mifis either the same model or different. I got one of these to use in the UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B7TGVP6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 

Could be wrong but I don't think you'll find a payg data-only sim where your credit lasts indefinitely.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Iguana Rock - 3 years ago

I didn't understand most of what you said! But we have Lycamobile for our French PAYG. Very good. And you can access your account in English too!