DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Installation of a telephone land line

Posted by cartersx6@icloud.com-10053964 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by cartersx6@icloud.com-10053964 - 3 years ago

Dear All,

Many thanks for your all your notes, much appreciated. I have looked at Orange, they now have a English speaker to help with the setting up of a new account.

One again, many thanks

Angela

Sorry no image available
Posted by vivaofsnape - 3 years ago

Tregadilet copper telephone lines are fine for broadband. ADSL runs over copper telephone lines and can achieve  20mbs and higher. The limiting  factor is proximity to the local exchange. Upto 1km  there is no degradation but then degradation increases proportional to distance. I have Orange running over telephone  and achieve 16mbs

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

As with many French postcodes, they often cover more than one town or village. This includes 22480 - and if you are in Saint Nicolas du Pélem, the service is good. However, the same cannot be said of Sainte Trephine, Notheret and other villages sharing the same postcode.

Sorry no image available
Posted by NellP-986196 - 3 years ago

We are in the 22480 postcode, we have Orange telephone and broadband, not fibre optic but we find  the internet speed fine for our use.  We download films and TV programmes without issue,  do the usual internet stuff, no problems.

Sorry no image available
Posted by grabeerd - 3 years ago

Try Alsatis if they serve your area.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AQ-417490 - 3 years ago

Larger towns or cities might have fibre broadband available, but the vast majority of small towns and smaller, there is virtually no chance, so a little hamlet like Notheret might never get it. Your best bet, as others have said, is Orange, who will use the existing traditional copper wire network, but even then, because of your location, there is no guarantee of an adequate broadband speed.

I know of someone in another hamlet quite close to you who has been unable to get broadband and had dial-up until fairly recently and then decided to go for a satellite system with Nordnet.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tregadilet - 3 years ago

The O/P would like a fibre optic line to their house, Orange cant supply this and I dont think there will be any other supplier who can do this this for rural Brittany. The only other option is for Sattelite internet and phone line which is expensive.  For most communes in Brittany outside of the big towns it is the use of copper landlines with slow internet speeds of < 1M/b.  For all other suppliers of phone lines,  they all have to use the Orange network for there services.

Sorry no image available
Posted by kerguen - 3 years ago

As Suzie-pops says contact Orange.  A lot of France telephone network uses the copper wire cables and fibre is just being rolled out to places.  The link to Anglo-info about telephone installation is below.

http://brittany.angloinfo.com/information/housing/setting-up-home/telephone/

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 3 years ago

I think Orange are the only supplier for the line.