DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

insurance get out

Posted by jo0703-435963 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by fredbloggs2 - 3 years ago

I think that you were lucky they paid at all , Since 2012 any holiday home in Brittany that doesn't have an active surveyance alarm system is no longer covered by many insurances due to the rising thefts and burglarys .. I was forced by my insurance company (not a bank) to install such a system to get renewed cover for my second house in Corsica and my home here ..

Don't forget Banks are banks not good insurers at all!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by moi-383589 - 3 years ago

I'd like to know how it all goes. Good luck!

Sorry no image available
Posted by jo0703-435963 - 3 years ago

Hi Moi

taken your advice and written this morning to Allianz pointing out that we had doubled up on the security of the property which was much more than was asked for.   I pointed out that the double gates at the front which are securely locked were untouched and that the police had stated the thieves came in through a field at the back and must have had a vehicle and had obviously "cased" our house beforehand and pointed out that in view of our location, no street lights, no police patrols, no near neighbours that they had plenty of time to enter the property.   I pointed out that if someone wants to get into your property in a location such as described then nothing will stop them, especially a simple lock and key device, all they had to do was to get a crow bar, slide it between the doors and force entry.   In our case we had a locking bar across the garage doors secured by pins into the wall and these were ripped off the wall and thrown into the field behind, which were only found when the farmer brought them to us.  I have also informed them that i will be contact clcv and the Ombudsman, details of which I googled, and we will see what happens.   Someone else put a reply on about English locks not being accepted, i find it funny that they accept Tax d'Habitation and Tax Fonciere from us but not goods which are equivalent really everywhere.   I think it is just another excuse to not pay out but unfortunately all insurance companies all over the world are the same, we will persevere and i will keep you informed of the outcome if you don't mind and once again many thanks for your input.   we are travelling over next week to do more work on the house and intended to go down to the Allianz office but my friend who is French is away on holiday and unable to help us with translation.   My french is reasonable but not good enough to take on the problems that may be encountered when we get down there so that is my next problem with trying to find someone who will represent me at the time but i will get there eventually

Sorry no image available

Hi thanks for reply.   I have taken Moi's advice and written to them requesting a second review and informing them that I am contacting clcv as well as the Ombudsman.   i appreciate that claims take a long time but as Moi pointed out a simple lock and key in  a rural area is unacceptable and we had actually doubled up on our security before the robberty and it was more than what was requested from the Policy.   I feel they are looking for every excuse not to pay, but that is the same here in the UK, but we will persist and obviously are looking at other insurance companies for the future and we will make sure we understand the dread small print.

Sorry no image available
Posted by car22 - 3 years ago

15 months you can wait up to 2 yeats and longer if unlucky plus lawyers like we have had. First of all they want to see insurence approved locks and receipts ,not well it was a good lock I fitted it my self  and I dont have the receipt it was years ago all good locksmiths have to keep records of high secuity locks fittrd for up to 15 years . They dont have to keep recipts of cheap  locks English locks dont warrent anything over here either ; Did you have a surveyor out from the insurence as  ours  is coming 26 Aug  2015 burglery in April 2014 no surveyor no pay out crime number is not enough over here .  and you will keep going on  and on till you tick all the boxes for them good luck .

Sorry no image available

Sorry-map's on the right hand side.

Sorry no image available

As you were still insured with them after the thefts, I think you should clearly state that according to home insurance policy terms, you are duty bound to secure your premises in order to keep the policy legal. You did this immediately and complied with the terms of your policy.

It is unreasonable for them to then wait a year before requesting evidence of the crime/damage.

If you have time you coukd contact this consumer rights group-very good people

http://www.clcv.org/

Scroll down to map on left and click on your area to find nearest office.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Brian Stone - 3 years ago

Just out of interest, who are you insured with?

Sorry no image available

Hi Moi,

thanks for that, we did make about three visits to the office and they sent our documents to their head office and then came back with the we regret letter.    My french is fairly good but not good enough to go into the details so I took a french translater with me last time.   We go over next week and i will make a list up as you say and get my friend to come down with me again.   i think I will e-mail over a letter to the office stating that we are appealing and stating that they asked for photos over twleve months later when it was too late to take them as the new doors were already insitu and working.  i will state the comments you made about being futile and see what they come back with.   We have actually put a lock and key on the doors now but also put back even stronger bars and locks as well as putting in CCTV with signs and everything warning anyone that they are in place but although we pointed this out to them they still would not even consider it.   Anyway i will keep you posted and once again thank you for taking the time to reply, it is much appreciated.

have a good evening

Sorry no image available

I most definitely think that you should appeal.

I would make a 'list' format of all the security you had in place for the outside facility and then state that you most comprehensively took every precaution for a rural property where, even if you had had a key lock, it would have been completely futile, bearing in mind what they did to gain entry.

I think it's tricky because you're not in France. Do you think you might be able to visit their local office/agency next time you go over? A face to face is often morepowerful.