DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Internet problems.

Posted by lakeman-415065 - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by lakeman-415065 - 4 years ago

Gentlemen  I am amazed and very grateful for the advice and support I have received from you all ; Anglo Info is certainly a friendly place liberally populated by knowlegeable and skilful souls ready to assist.  To answer specifics;  the light to the right of WLAN marked LINE is not illuminated and I spent between three and four hours last Friday with the providers Technical Support to no avail so I have decided, as you might say, to "mend it with a new one" and change my provider.  Until this change is effected I will  soldier on ethernetting, rather than wi- fiing, and making do without my Kindle.  As two of my devices worked perfectly on my nephew's Livebox I will be off to The Orange Shop in Pontivy later this week to arrange a new package.  I suspected when I made the original posting that I had possibly overlooked something trivial but that appears not to have been the case.. 

Again thank you to all posters;

Posted by bartyb - 4 years ago

'ang on James, this is a router that Lakeman's provider has sent out pre-configured. I'd put money on it that the admin username/password is not the default and that hitting the reset button is not an option as Lakeman has not been given all the connection settings.

The provider's tech support are the only guys who can sort this out

Sorry no image available
Posted by jamesmb - 4 years ago

Lakeman, apologies, I thought you said that the tablet could connect - I may be losing the plot!

Your router should have wireless capability. Next stop is for you to log in and check that it's actually working.

On the front of the router, there are various letters - one set reads WLAN. To the right of that should be a light. What is it doing?

Sorry no image available

BartyB   Sorry it os a CT-6382T;  Typoerror!!!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by orme2 - 4 years ago

Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding lakeman - just the often-encountered ambiguity of the English language at fault !

A make and model so popular that Google doesn't find it and none are available on eBay, a remarkable achievement.

In the short term you could buy a wireless router off Amazon.fr for €20 and connect this by cable to your Comtrend thing which would restore wirelessness to your household.

http://www.amazon.fr/TP-Link-TL-WR841N-Routeur-Switch-antenne/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432023802&sr=8-1&keywords=tp+link+router

Sorry no image available

Nicely put BartyB.  They are yanking the chain and my internet service is being flushed down the proverbial.  The router is a Comtrend CT-6392T and on the instructions it says "Ethernet port preferred" and Wi Fi (optional).  I can add another affected device, it does not recognise my Kindle. 

My provider claims they have been using these successfuly for the past two years, maybe another yank on the chain;  It looks like I need a new provider.  Thank you for your input.

and in answer to the original question, your provider is yanking your chain!

if 3 devices aren't seeing your router, it ain't broadcasting wireless for one of 3 reasons:

the wireless is turned off

the wireless is broken 

or it simply isn't wireless.

Probably a good place to start would be to check the make and model on the web to see if it's wireless and if it has a physical switch to turn the wireless on and off or post the details here

Sorry no image available
Posted by jamesmb - 4 years ago

Actually, I may not be able to give a longer answer later and may not log in tomorrow (it's my birthday - woop!) - so the rough and ready answer on the channels is whatever number it is, ,try 1, 6 and 11 (so try 1 - reboot router - try to connect to wifi. If that doesn't work, repeat with 6... etc).

There is a more finessed answer than that but we can finesse on another occasion! :)