DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Itchy Bites after being in Garden

Posted by Cheekiweeki-817816 - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Martin King-393934 - 3 years ago

Made me laugh Countrydweller.Good one!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Janouk - 3 years ago

Not me that wraps up well cheekiweeki, I'm afraid I feel the heat too much to wrap up well, shorts and T-shirts all the summer (probably why I get so bitten!) yes our birds all taking lots of baths too, amongst all the normal garden birds we have also now, since providing them with nestboxes, got a colony of about 40 sparrows who take a communal bath both in the water bath and in the dust!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cheekiweeki-817816 - 3 years ago

What I meant to point out about the bird feeder is that with the long term feeder, one doesn't have to spend so long filling up the bird feeders.

Sorry no image available

Thinking about you wrapping up so well Janouk. In the garden this afternoon it was SO hot I had a thought - if these critters like to get into the crevices and enjoy cuddling under the waistband so much - well .............. the answer is obvious...........  remove all of one's clothing  and just keep a towel to wipe all areas where they may be hiding - then when finished in the garden - into the shower with a loufa and a good scrub all over to detach any who are still hanging on! 

I am also thinking that this is probably why the birdbath is so popular these days with dozens of birds splashing about - you can see my video up on YouTube under 'Cheekiweeki'. At the moment there are two blue tits, one bullfinch, one greenfinch and two sparrows on the bath. Lovely to see . By the way while we are on the bird and midge subject, if you are interested in a 'long term' bird feeder - I have the instructions to make. Depending on how many birds feed, we get about 8 to 10 at any one time and it lasts minimum of one month. Seed keeps dry and birds love it. If you Google a site called 'Fiverr' (double r) https://www.fiverr.com/s2/981c45b11f

Sorry no image available
Posted by Janouk - 3 years ago

Oh thanks ferrandiere that's great, I'll get some ffrom Amazon. Yup had those hole in the middle, sugary substance which then scabs over, bites cheekiweeki, but depite all that I still enjoy spending all my days in the garden, the pleasure certainly outweighs the not so pleasant side of it. Like when I discovered one of our resident fat toads with his head in the mouth of a very large grass snake the other day - but that's another story! (Had better just say that he lived to tell the tale!)

Sorry no image available
Posted by David Paterson - 3 years ago

thank you. Best of luck. D

Sorry no image available
Posted by David Paterson - 3 years ago

thank you. Best of luck. D

Sorry no image available

Trouble with these things is you don't see them to killem. I have also been 'stung' by an invisible 'thing'. Cutting down the raspberry canes and see a little black dot of a fly around my legs - after flapping my hand at it  I'm rying to watch for it's return, next thing I feel this sting and see it on my leg, zap it with my hand and it was gone. I didn't have any reaction and assume it just didn't have the time to inject its venom. But I have had a reaction to other 'stings' similar and they come up in a bad hive with hole in the middle and itch for days and then scab over. Wonderful isn't it that we get such pleasure from our gardens!

Sorry no image available

Thanks Pank104 - Vitamin B might be the answer - but probably take a while to build up in the body - I also read about garlic of course, an old remedy to keep bugs away - 

Sorry no image available
Posted by ferrandiere - 3 years ago

The oatmeal and honey shampoo that I use is unfortunately only available from the UK. I get it from Amazon, it is called "Groomers Oatmeal and Honey Dog Shampoo". You could try asking in the pharmacy or look online here on something like Petmeds. As long as it has lait d'avoine in it you should be ok. Good luck.