DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Kodi Box

Posted by sandra r - Created: 2 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 2 years ago

My daughter had an internet package with free which included an android TV box, which is what a kodi box is, I would explore that route first.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sandra r - 2 years ago

hello Aline regine.

Thank you again for your advise, I tried to download Kodi on my PC, but unfortunatly my security wouldn't let it download as they saw it as a dangerous site with viruses malware etc so I couldn't take the chance of it messing up my system. We are very careful on what we do and won't go ahead until we are absolutely sure it's right. I'd like to thank everyone for their help it has been so helpful it's a new adventure for us into the unknown so we must get it right.

Regards

Sandra

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 2 years ago

Android is the standard operating system as stated for smart phones and tablets, apps or applications are what you load onto an android TV box, mobdro is an app you can load onto a kodi box, something I meant to point out was, I don't know who you have as your internet provider or how long you have had the contract, but free will give you an android TV box as part of their ADSL package, in fact most of them will, I tried kodi on my tablet, loaded a few apps, had problems with picture quality, locking up ect, deleted it and found everything I need on mobdro.

Sorry no image available
Posted by AlineRegine - 2 years ago

Dear Sandra R,

Regarding your question; an operating system (OS) is essentially system software which manages the computers hardware. So most people use either a apple mac, or a PC. Apple's operating system is called OSX (with a sub-name such as "mountain lion") and most PC's use Microsoft OS such as XP, Windows 7 etc etc.

As I have said before, Kodi can be installed on most OS'. The two you have mentioned "Open Elec (Linux) & Android (developed by Google) are also types of operating systems. However they have been designed for mobile devices processor chips, IE smart phones. Open Elec was specifically designed for XBMC (now known as Kodi) exclusively.

Please, before you buy anything, I would try Kodi first. It's free and easy to install. If you just buy one and something goes wrong, its not like a Freeview box, where you can switch it off or nudge the dish.

I recommend on installing Kodi your home computer first, its identical to what you'll use when you buy a dedicated box. On google, search "Kodi", go to the website and follow the installation instructions. Once Kodi has installed swap back to google and search "kodi tvaddons", again on the website follow the instructions exactly.

Let me know if this helps?

Sorry no image available

Hi again Aline regine.

No we haven't used a Kodi box before we are novices  where that's concerned, that's why we are trying to get as much information before diving in and buying one, we really appreciate everything you say, I'm not too bad with the technical side of things ie setting up Pcs,  recorders etc but my husband is not too good and leaves it to me to sort out when there is a problem, but we would obviously prefere to be able to just plug in and play if that is possible. Here's a question for you, what is the difference in Linux open elec Kodi and android OS?

Regards.

Sandra

Sorry no image available

Hi Sandra R,

The box you have chosen looks ok. I would like to point out one thing, there is no dedicated box for kodi, it is just a software platform so in essence you can install it onto anything for free. 

With regards to picture quality, this really depends on a number of things; the source (IE what quality was the content in the first place?), internet speed and the number of seeds (Source bandwidth).

Have you actually used kodi yet, IE installed it on you computer? If not, give it a try, then you will see what I mean.

Any questions welcome...

Sorry no image available

Hi Alie regine.

My husband has done a lot of research into the Kodi G box Q fully loaded, fair enough you have to pay that bit more, you do seem to be well informed on the subject of Kodi so it's good to have your unput, we always take the view that you get what you pay for, so if we went for a cheap one there would probably be problems with poor picture quality, slowness etc which would spoil the whole thing, We have seen the one we like but still taking our time to find out more about it.

Thanks again.

Sandra

Sorry no image available

Kodi is a free software platform, which used to be called XBMC (X Box Media Centre). It can be installed onto nearly all computers, phones, i-devices and android based devices.

Kodi itself is just a platform to gain access to online digital content, from music to films and much more. However, Kodi itself will not deliver the content, for that you need to find and add whatever it is you are after - IE BT sport (Live) you will have to find the Repo (repository) and add the addon to Kodi.

Technically, you can gain access to any live TV Channel from around the world. But it takes time to find the channesl, as well as finding one which is stable.

Remember, it's a grey area within the eye's of the law. That is for you to research and pay the consequences if a problem should ever arise.

With regards to devices, I like the saying "buy cheap, buy twice". I've been using everything from an Apple TV2 (Jail broken), Ouya, Roku, Raspberry pi and a nvidia shield. (All connected using HDMI to the TV). Most addons have whats called a memory leak. So if you planning on using a device with a small CPU and GPU respectfully, then plan for some choppiness when watching a film.

Kodi is not for everyone, the navigation is not the same as a traditiional TV, but once you get used to it, you wont be dissappointed.

Sorry no image available
Posted by thecoopers-388293 - 2 years ago

I have a firestick side loaded with Kodi and paradox,it just plugs in to the hdmi port on the tv and is plug and play,the Amazon side doesn't work as it is a UK one and recognises it is outside the UK but the kodi/paradox side works fine,it is best for films and sport and every imaginable box set you could want,you can watch live tv but no need! We tend to use it for live sport and latest films and normally always hd quality

Sorry no image available
Posted by airpo - 2 years ago

Clickable link to Openbox report