DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Landline cable colours

Posted by Farthing - Created: 4 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Farthing - 4 years ago

Good luck - it's not that hard, phone cables seem to have four pairs for four extensions - mine had three pairs to the house but it seems you only need the one pair even for ADSL phone and interne.

I'm still not sure if the polarity is critical (like colour to like) but thought it best to make sure before I connected my brand new SFR box!

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 4 years ago

I only asked because a while back our house was burgled and they ripped the socket off the wall when taking the phone and I've been meaning to reconnect the socket for ages now but couldn't find the numbers of the terminals the incoming wires went to!

Sorry no image available

A grey / white pair came into the house and I used a multimeter to determine the polaritiy (which was which) at the end of the existing intermediate long twin grey wires into the socket. I should have just replaced the long twin grey run with a new telephone cable where the polarity / colour codes were obvious.

My new SFR box / ADSL comection came to life wiith internet and phone (I didn't want TV) soon after connection.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No longer Online - 4 years ago

What were they then?

Sorry no image available

Problem now solved by trial and error ethod of deduction