DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Latest EDF bill contains 46% TVA and Contributions to EDF

Posted by Wiltshire Lass - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Jo Taylor-790528 - 3 years ago

Ohmygiddyaunt - that was my first thought - but look again, the OP said it was the ANNUAL bill.

1515 divided by 12 = 126,25€ per month - about the same as yours.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Lapin-436112 - 3 years ago

the 46% contains a lot of charges that are included in the normal rate per kw hour. so for example  a KW hour electricity cost lets say about 13 cents. on the invoice from EDF you wont see anyting that i 13 cents, but they will bill it at lets say 8 cents or even less  and then the other 5 cents is billed as other charges because of rules etc. so really it is not 46% but a lot less. TVA you pay on everything and of course the standing monthly charges. read your invoice first before complaining :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ohmygiddyaunt - 3 years ago

I don't know what you are all doing with your electricity ? My house is a 7 bedroom 350M2 3 floor ex convent with walls a meter thick , I only use about 120€ a month in electricity .. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by porzcoz - 3 years ago

Hi. Can I just ask how many kWh did you use and what was the price per kWh?

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

If you paid.a lower percentage of charges you would just pay a higher unit cost,so the other option is use less electricity, which means EDF makes less money so they put price up.The problem is that the green energy ripoff is expensive, someone has to pay for the wind turbines and the solar farms,and also all the subsidies paid out have to be recouped, the main source of income is us the consumer so its us who pays.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

Before anybody gets too enthusiastic about PV panels - the ones that generate leccky- be aware that as an average they generate about 90 watts per square metre as a yearly average - in California.

If you really want to get serious about an alternative to mains leccky it's a diesel generator, but that's not cheap either-did the maths a couple of years ago.

If I seriously wanted to go it alone I would have a modest area of PV panels to charge a battery bank, an inverter to supply low power usages, and a genny for running high power items and charging the battery bank when the sun is not enough.

Sorry no image available
Posted by suziepops - 3 years ago

Just curious, but why do you only get a bill once a year and why are the TVA and contributions so high?

Sorry no image available
Posted by phlophf-409902 - 3 years ago

Wiltshire lass, that percetage breakdown is about right, i m afraid to say.

We have been with other French h suppliers and found them even less satisfactory

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

ok the maths are wrong ;-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Reveuse-918439 - 3 years ago

In the UK some suppliers have a standing charge and a lower tarif per KWH, some don't have a standing charge but the KWH tarif is higher, so it depends on your consumption which works out cheaper for you. I don't know if there are the same options in France. But EDF does have a variety of tarifs - are you on heures creuses? Or there's the bizarre tarif with blue days and red days which works well for some people.

6 years to recoup 8k looks a tad optimistic - you would have to SAVE over over 1,600€ a year on your bill. And Wiltshire Lass's entire annual bill is less than that so even if she used no EDF electricity and somehow got out of paying the standing charge, she couldn't save that much a year.