DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

LIDL cordless drill

Posted by floradora - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

Yes that is not a bad price, but the batteries on my Makita only lasted 18 months so that equates to over 60€ for two batteries(supposing I can get Makita batteries for the same price) against a new Bosch drill with 3 Li on batteries and a 3 year warranty for 109€. So if the new batteries only lasted 18 months I could end up paying 120€ over the same period just for technologically inferior batteries with less capacity (2.0Ah as opposed to 1.3Ah) but like I said, it is a bit of a gamble either way. Time will tell. :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Space Cadet - 3 years ago

JohnP. I bought them for £22 each inc delivery to my UK address. I thought that that was a reasonable price compared to the purchase of a new, quality drill.

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnP-390097 - 3 years ago

I did look at the possibility of replacing the batteries but they are expensive and outdated technology with the new Li on battery models now cheaper which supposedly don't suffer with "memory" charge problems.

Floradora, to drill into masonry you really need a hammer drill and in my experience cordless drills don't pack the 'punch' needed unless you have the larger 18volt upwards models. Even then you can't beat a mains powered hammer drill for that purpose when possible.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Space Cadet - 3 years ago

JohnP, I have 2 of the same 14.4v  Ryobi drills. But when my batteries died this year after 7 years of service, I just replaced the batteries. The actual drills are still working fine.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Fitter - 3 years ago

I forgot to say that cordless drill batteries will last much longer if you make sure that they are stored after being fully charged. Don't run it flat and then put it away for a few weeks without charging it first.

Sorry no image available

It's a cheap drill, made in China probably, that's why I said buy a decent branded one.

Makita 18 volt combi drill+two batteries+charger+case £114.58 + shipping to france.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MAKITA-8391DWPE-TK-Ni-Cad-Batteries-Pieces/dp/B0044ATOFO/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1436523037&sr=1-1&keywords=makita+18+volt+drill

I've got two of them, been used abused dropped stalled got them wet-dried out and still ok from 6 years ago.

Sorry no image available
Posted by floradora - 3 years ago

Well they exchanged it no problem.  It does not seem to have that much power though.  Took about 2 minutes to drill into breeze block. I bought a new hole maker (can't remember the word). At a cost of 34e I wonder if i would have been better going to Brico Depot as they had the same for less money 12v? Is that the power?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Dibbyspot - 3 years ago

Just exchange it. There seems little merit buying expensive drills as they are all made in china anyway. Why pay the premium for a brand name? There is no evidence they are much better.

Sorry no image available

It is possible to replace the worn-out cells in drill battery packs if you are handy with a soldering iron.

It involves buying the right size laptop battery, breaking it open and using the cells, which are apparently of certain standard sizes which fit drill battery packs.

There are quite a few websites and videos on the internet about it. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by sophie hunton - 3 years ago

Have had the same problem with makita and so has a friend of mine,same with AEG batteries don't last and cost more than the drill did,about ten years ago I bought half a dozen cheap Chinese drills in a brico clearance and I still have three that charge fine,so it goes to show when you pay for quality you don't always get it.