DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Limewash additive - French tradename and effectiveness

Posted by Farthing - Created: 3 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

A kanak says be sure as you willl never put anything else (emulsion paint etc) on top of it, as the lime will throw it off.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Kanak - 3 years ago

Hi Farthing,  sounds as though helicopter has given you all the tips, but all I can add is that if you are coating the entire wall, the joints (which may have an old grout of lime/earth/sand/cement, or even your own mix!) ) will have a different absorbency than stone (=slate or granite?).  I have used chaux aérienne successfully on earth walls, and with time it cures and becomes beautifully white, but maybe your local builders merchants will tell you which product is best adapted to your stones.  Are you sure you really want to do this, because you will never get it off if afterwards you think you are in a cowshed!, and you could maybe enhance the stone with nice lighting instead.

Sorry no image available
Posted by helicopterrob - 3 years ago

The best limewash is made by diluting matured lime putty as this is made with non hydraulic lime and  will set by exposure to air/carbon dioxide only and give a much better finish. .

Sorry no image available
Posted by sea shore - 3 years ago

Mix up your own with chaux and water. Don't make it too thick, I've been told so it looks like milk.

Sorry no image available
Posted by grannydot-403561 - 3 years ago

They do a limewash to use on the fruit trees, maybe the same thing, that in the gardening sections called insecticide blanc.

wish my memory went back 16 yrs to when we bought our house here, for the name of stuff we got then, newly renovated the roughly plastered walls needed painting. Being newpies, we went looking for emulsion just as a temporary cover for them. Found this huge tin with blanch on it. Ah found it, but no more paint about it. Walls were still not properly dry, but as is usual builders had been late finishing so it was a rush to do it before going back to UK. We started arguing, Bernard was doing the first coat, and I was following trying to get it covered with a second coat. It was all over the Floor, so as far as I was concerned he was being sloppy and painting the floor as well. No.... We watched, It was running down the wall as he put it on the wall. I was then following scooping it up, and painting back onto the walls. We have laughed about it For years, we should really have twigged it was not emulsion, when it took an hour to stir up the sedement. We now think it must have been white wash that they used to use on backyard walls. Maybe that is what you want, but watch the floor. Lol

Sorry no image available
Posted by geegee42 - 3 years ago

Unable to answer that one ,you will have to Google it,but there are different types of lime.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Farthing - 3 years ago

Thank you everyone for such usefule tips and cautions.

Further to my helplessness, my last question then is: I used NHL3.5 lime (plus sand) for the pointing and it has come up very well. I used the 'bung it on in handfulls and clean ot up later'  technique, rather than the trowel or mortar gun method. Thanks Kate!

Now I plan to limewash selected walls, can I just add water to the NHL 3.5 lime till it's like thick paint then just give it 3 or 4 coats of that?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tryval - 3 years ago

In Portugal, always used rock lime not  powder as it covered better and dried to a hard, non powdery surface, but not seen it in France, anyone come accross it?

Sorry no image available

I forgot -- make sure to damp the wall too before the first coat  - this will stop the  moisture being sucked out of the limewash too fast and make for a better cure.

Sorry no image available

Better not to put anything on the wall first, Sealing with Pva is good for  plastering but limewash as you suppose lets the wall breathe and  in my experience if you apply over pva you are going to get a finish that flakes  very easy.. Better to apply three or four very thin coats too, rather than trying to apply a thick coat as this will also  give you a finish that  is less prone to flaking -- remember it looks translucent  and milky when it goes on but dries  opaque white.  If adhesion is a probem then you can add casein  - the old receipies also include egg whites to do the same job - my father always used to add jeyes fluid  but I never ask him why !.